why producing milk?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama cat been fixed. she was a week into pregnancy when we got her fixed and i was sure the kittens was fully weaned and she was dried but i caught her two times nursing the kittens, i just checked if she producing milk and she is but why? Should i separate the kittens from her? Appox how long?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She even look pregnant, i don't understand how? Could a spray cat go through fake pregancy?

Last edited:

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have seen humans( women mostly but one guy too) have fake pregnancies before. Never heard of it in a cat but most things people get cats can too .

I would love to see what you find out. So please keep us posted.

I'm sorry I can't help. Good luck.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know fake pregnancy do happens in cats but she was fixed and she producing milk she even have increase appetite and she keep showing her belly to me as she never does unless she greeting me or just really happy to see me or she in heat which can't be possible either

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I went and read a few case studies on pseudo pregnancies in cats.

Most are caused by a hormonal imbalance. Especially progesterone and prolactin.

Some cats are known to how pseudo pregnancies starting 3-4 days after getting fixed.

It could last up to a month. But if last longer it's recommend going to the vet for hormonal supplements.

Just like we do in human patients . Only cats don't need to go talk out their feelings with a different doctor. 

I also found one case study from a few years back and overseas. That the doctor believed the cat was upset because she knew she couldn't have babies anymore. He said the best thing for her was get her a new baby kitten to care for. 

Hope something helps. Good luck and thank you for caring for this family.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shw have been acting more affectionate since she got sprayed, i thought it due to being fixed but maybe it due fake pregnancy?

She got fixed in late feb

Last edited:

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she was fixed in late February then it may be time to go to the vet with her and get some blood work done. they will be able to tell you what she needs. Good luck 

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should call the vet and see if there is anything you should try before bringing her. The vet here sometimes tells us to try a few different things before we bring our cats in. You may also want to get a note book and write down the different things she does and when. 

I would definitely get blood work done whenever they will. That way you will know if her hormones are out of balance and what ones she will need. 

Before you buy any meds check it you can buy them from a feed store or something like Wal-Mart. they will be a lot cheaper.  

Don't forget to post what happens. I would really like to know. Good luck . 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just email a vet that i trust

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are still nursing she'll still have milk. It's OK. Some neutered males have even started producing milk (not much, but still) when suckled by orphan kittens ;). It's the suckling action that stimulates the mammary glands---it doesn't mean she's having a false pregnancy. She might let them nurse for a long time (Sonja let Scotty nurse until he was nearly a year old!) but she'll cut them off eventually. As long as she's well-fed it won't hurt her to make milk.

Basically---it's normal; don't worry :D.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are still nursing she'll still have milk. It's OK. Some neutered males have even started producing milk (not much, but still) when suckled by orphan kittens ;). It's the suckling action that stimulates the mammary glands---it doesn't mean she's having a false pregnancy. She might let them nurse for a long time (Sonja let Scotty nurse until he was nearly a year old!) but she'll cut them off eventually. As long as she's well-fed it won't hurt her to make milk.

Basically---it's normal; don't worry :D.
Yeah but her belly look round and her behavior was the same as if she is pregnant

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also the kittens was fully weaned and she was completly dried when we took her to get fixed

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously though she look pregnant, could be worms so i am going to deworm her

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doing fine, still haven't deworm her yet