why on earth does my cat play with chili peppers?

emilydickinson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We left our cat at home for a week while on holiday. A friend popped in to feed her daily. When we returned last night, we discovered that the birds eye peppers that were on the counter top had become her favorite play thing. She had dragged them from our kitchen to our bedroom and had chewed them up in our bed. These are rather potent so it was shocking that she is so fond of them.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We grow a lot of peppers in our garden - some of them mild and some of them very hot (habanera). If we leave them on the counter, the cats knock them off and play with them. Some will chew on them.

I have no idea why they do this. Pepper spray is supposed to be a deterant to animals. I think it's their odd shape that attracts them.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emilydickinson

We left our cat at home for a week while on holiday. A friend popped in to feed her daily. When we returned last night, we discovered that the birds eye peppers that were on the counter top had become her favorite play thing. She had dragged them from our kitchen to our bedroom and had chewed them up in our bed. These are rather potent so it was shocking that she is so fond of them.
These are some of Persi's favorite playthings. We have those dried long red peppers that hang down so we have to hang them high. Persi still tries to grab them in mid air!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah LOVES to play with fresh jalapeno peppers, okra, and green beans from the garden if left on the kitchen counter. I don't understand the fascination, but it's funny!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will take off with any jalapenos they find on the counter, too. Even larger banana peppers become a toy. Last year Tomas knocked a habanero down, I took that away from him quickly.
Small tomatoes seem appealing to cats, too.

I have all sorts of balls in this house and have made pepper shaped toys. While played with it's not the same. Maybe it's the sound, texture, and outside smells on the peppers that make them so appealing.
I'm willing to bet that scent is the main attraction.