Why my 7 month old cat cry like he is dying until I run to where he is and pet/snuggle him?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say that not only has he found his "Mesey" voice, but he's also found which of your buttons to push to get attention. 

Hekitty has a Siamese grand daddy, though you wouldn't know to look at her, and she can get very "Mesey" when she wants something.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My house is often very loud. Sinbad is VERY talkative. He will often talk to himself if no one is around. When he wants attention, or is happy, or wants something specific, he will raise his little voice until he can be heard all over the house and just go on and on and on...

Naturally this sets off Tempest (they are both Siamese mixes). She has a screech that sounds like a jungle bird's cry designed to carry miles ...

I have a noise cancelling headset. I can still hear them through it, even when I'm playing video games and in heavy combat.

angeldust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldest Siamese brings toys in her mouth to me after I have gone to bed.  She is checking to make sure that I am home.  She cries and because she is carrying toys it sounds like she is sick.  Angel settles down on my hip for a few minutes than goes off and does it again.  

Twinkles,  plays with her rings and cries while carrying them around.  I wouldn't worry about it.  The cat just wants to know where you are and likes having you in sight.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Suzie, a Siamese, when it was meal time, would meow over and over and over, nonstop until the bowl of food was placed on the floor!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My oldest Siamese brings toys in her mouth to me after I have gone to bed.  She is checking to make sure that I am home.  She cries and because she is carrying toys it sounds like she is sick.  Angel settles down on my hip for a few minutes than goes off and does it again.  

Twinkles,  plays with her rings and cries while carrying them around.  I wouldn't worry about it.  The cat just wants to know where you are and likes having you in sight.
Thank you, angeldust! :) that was SUPER helpful. I feel like you explained it perfectly. Ghibli does follow me everywhere and loves to be around me. He is still a little guy at 7 months and I am really all he has! I am also home all the time so he has kind of learned to have me around a lot :) I definitely eventually want to get him a brother. So helpful again. And your cars are adorable!

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds just like us!! My Mac (also called Mackie!) is forever talking and I know the neighbors can hear him. The reason I know this is, I can hear their cat talking too!

The really funny thing is, my living room faces the courtyard on the ground floor so my cats like to sit in our window and people watch. Well when this new neighbor moved in, she went crazy to see my guys there, she climbed right over the flower beds and squatted down and talked baby talk to my cats through the screen. Little did she know, a human person was on the other side of the curtain only inches away, hearing every mushy word.

That's how I knew another crazy cat mom moved in to our building. For all I know, she could be a member in this forum!

I know it can be annoying, OP, but I'm usually glad my cats talk so much. Eventually you might figure out your cat has certain meows to mean certain things. They're amazing communicators.
I love this response! That story is oooo funny 
!! Yes they are. At the beginning of this forum I said he "rarely meows...".... several days later I can honestly say he is as vocal as ever. His voice is very funny and sweet sounding so I don't mind :) 

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ghilbi is adorable!

Siamese talk a lot  lol

Mia starting to talk and I love it.

arcticcat907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when you come running it may reinforce the behavior. Katherine wouldn't meow at all when i got her. then she'd do these faint meows when she really wanted attention. so i started to pet her only when she did this faint meow because it was cute. now she meows when she wants something. i made a behavior.

ceedee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, Ghibli's doing it for attention, and he's getting it! *Btw, love the name, Ghibli's films are amazing!)

I suggest that next time he does the dramatic meowing, you check on him as usual, and seeing him sitting there looking pleased with himself, you verbally reassure him (eg, "Oh look, you're fine, you silly boy!") and then walk back out.

Then, the next time he tries the dramatic meowing, just call him to you, don't go to him. If he comes to you, praise him as the sweetest smartest cutest most awesomest kitty in the whole wide world, and play with him for a few minutes.

The idea is, he'll learn that instead of calling you to him, HE has to be the one to come to YOU for attention and playing.

Hopefully, eventually, that will work. Hopefully. Eventually.

Btw, just on the off-chance you don't know this, your cat should always be rewarded for coming to you. I don't mean with treats (although the occasional one is fine, especially in the beginning), but certainly with kind words and petting. Never call a cat to you to do something unpleasant to him [taking a bath, going into the carrier, getting his claws clipped, etc]. Coming to Mummy/Daddy should always be a good thing!

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, Ghibli's doing it for attention, and he's getting it! *Btw, love the name, Ghibli's films are amazing!)

I suggest that next time he does the dramatic meowing, you check on him as usual, and seeing him sitting there looking pleased with himself, you verbally reassure him (eg, "Oh look, you're fine, you silly boy!") and then walk back out.

Then, the next time he tries the dramatic meowing, just call him to you, don't go to him. If he comes to you, praise him as the sweetest smartest cutest most awesomest kitty in the whole wide world, and play with him for a few minutes.

The idea is, he'll learn that instead of calling you to him, HE has to be the one to come to YOU for attention and playing.

Hopefully, eventually, that will work. Hopefully. Eventually.

Btw, just on the off-chance you don't know this, your cat should always be rewarded for coming to you. I don't mean with treats (although the occasional one is fine, especially in the beginning), but certainly with kind words and petting. Never call a cat to you to do something unpleasant to him [taking a bath, going into the carrier, getting his claws clipped, etc]. Coming to Mummy/Daddy should always be a good thing!
Thanks! I love the movies so much :) Also, great idea! Thank you so much. I will try that, it seems like a really good idea.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He most likely wants attention. The best way to fix it is to ignore him until he's quiet, and THEN go and give him attention. He might be really stubborn about it but it works, trust me. Our 6-month-old Siamese mix is about as demanding as cats come and it took about a month to start to break her of this habit. She's not perfect yet but she's a million times better than she was.