Why isn’t my cat eating?

ramelaramela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat hasn’t been eating any food at all for 4 days now. She doesn’t seem sick to me. She is playful and in mood, but doesn’t even try to approach the food served to her, just ignores it instead. What could be the possible reason, and is it normal for some cats not to eat for a few days?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your cat? Does she go outside, and someone else is feeding her? Is someone else in the house giving her food that you don't know about? Have you checked to make sure her food hasn't gone bad?

No, it is not normal for a cat to go that long without eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramelaramela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is almost 9 months old and yes, she goes outside too, but she always has been going outside , yet always had a great appetite and ate at home at least twice a day anyways.
i’ve been giving her various foods, but she just seems not to be interested in eating.
I noticed she drinks water more than usually.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is acting normally, then somebody else is giving her food. You need to investigate where that food might be coming from. 4 days of not eating would have taken a toll on her and she would not be acting normal.

Perhaps, someone in the neighborhood just recently has noticed her being outside and thinks she is a stray. A lot of folks who feed strays give them dry food, so she could be thirstier from that aspect.

You could always keep her inside and see if she changes her mind about eating the food you put out for her.