Why Is The Site SO Slow??!!??

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The site has been much faster for me as well.

We'll PM people about their dragon eggs as we see them.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me first page view on the site is still very slow, with a long wait on a blank window, but navigating through the site is much faster. I think the eggs were a big problem, but there's still something else going on.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

For me first page view on the site is still very slow, with a long wait on a blank window, but navigating through the site is much faster. I think the eggs were a big problem, but there's still something else going on.
If I turn advertising back on the front page is slow too - could it be an advert?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at the source code, there seems to be an awful lot of javascript. A lot of this script is loaded with the html. I'm guessing that might be the problem, though I'm certainly no expert on it. I think if all the script could be loaded via seperate includes script files, it would load and run faster. The browser wouldn't have to stop, load, parse, and interpret each individual script it comes across while parsing and rendering the page. That might be an explanation of why someone stares at a blank window for so long on the first page view and subsequent page views are much faster. It's because on subsequent page views the code is cached and doesn't need to be reloaded.

IMO (and remember I'm a complete web designer novice) an even better solution would be to recode these functions to run as php scripts on the server, but that's up to the vBulletin people; nothing your techs can do anything about most likely.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about anyone else, I was hanging up on the dragoncave site, but now, I hang up while tickers from tickercentral.com are trying to load.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I spoke too fast...

It's still slow for me, but it's the ads..... It will say "waiting for..." Well I can't remember exactly but it has 'ad' in it, ugh.