Why is my old cat often but not always pooping outside his toilet

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is a 12 year old Norwegian Forest Cat. He hasn't shown much signs of slowing down except for being a bit skittery climbing stairs and can't successfully jump on my double mattress bed. He is as happy as ever. My wife has been putting on makeup a lot in the morning and that started way before his issue got going. He is home alone some days a week whereas not that much at all but that was a change long before this issue. Nothing recently has changed in our home but 2 weeks ago he pooped outside his toilet and occasionally in the toilet and sometimes some in and then some out. He always pees in his toilet. If you think sickness then we have to quite certain because it is very stressful for him to go the vet and we thought sickness for not eating well and he was fine . Currently he is eating his 3 meals a day. What do you think is the issue? Soon we will try a second toilet. Some times when he went on the mat near the toilet then he really didn't try to enter his toilet.

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Consider a lower litter pan (your mention of him not being able to jump on your bed made me think of this) and definitely try having a second one. My cat likes to do her poo and pee in separate boxes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With respect, being unbalanced on the stairs and unable to jump on the bed are major signs of arthritis.

I recommend you go to the vet for some support for his arthritis, pain management and supplements.

I'd also recommend you begin providing senior supports if you don't already have them. Having carpet down (area rugs etc) so that he can grip the floor will help him to walk better. Providing pet stairs so he can get up and down from favourite furniture spots. These are things that really helped Nobel in his late years.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like it could be arthritis that is behind his litter box issues. But even if it isn't, there is enough reason otherwise to think he could benefit from arthritis supplements. Cats usually hold a different position when pooping compared to peeing, so the position could be irritating his arthritic joints. Arthritis can wax and wane which can cause issues sporadically, hence the reason he does use the box some of the time.

The best way to confirm arthritis is through x-rays of his spine and legs. However, if you don't want to take him to the vet specificaly for that reason alone, you can try giving him supplements anyway. You can always ask for the x-rays when there is another reason to take him to the vet, perhaps on his next senior checkup - which at his age really should occur at least once a year, if not twice annually. Cosequin or Dasuquin seem to be the most common arthritic supplements, but there are others on the market as well.

A second litter box is a good idea too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't have any trouble jumping on to my stool which just did this morning (as high as single mattress bed) or sofa. Both are lower than the toilet entry. He slips off the bed when jumping.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He doesn't have any trouble jumping on to my stool which just did this morning (as high as single mattress bed) or sofa. Both are lower than the toilet entry. He slips off the bed when jumping.
I am not sure what you are telling us. It still seems to be arthritis related, that is generally part of aging in cats which also include less agility over time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, a couple of thoughts, here. Both are pretty common with aging. There may well be some arthritis going on. Jumping on the bed, with its loose sheets and spread, is quite different than jumping on a stool, which is either bare, or has a tight upholstery. I'd consider a set of pet steps for the bed, btw. My cat adores hers. We have three of them, one for my bed, one for the daybed in the office, where she spends a LOT of time, and one next to the love seat in the living room. An "easy enter" box will help with this, as well.

The other thing to consider is that your cat may be experiencing some mild constipation, not uncommon with aging. Cats tend to associate discomfort on elimination with the box, rather than with their own bodies. IF he were pooping in the box, but peeing outside it, I'd think UTI, for instance. Adding a bit of canned pumpkin (purée, NOT pie filling) will often take care of this. And, of course, a vet check for EITHER issue would pin it right down.

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fluffy my monster cat doesn't usually sleep on my bed- maybe because it is getting a little cooler-I just pick him up at the moment to take advantage alternative plastic licking or putting his body at the far of the bed- he doesn't stay long at night. He has lots of places to sleep such a little bed next to my wife's futon and a cardboard cat house in mezzanine level in the room

How do get your cat to eat puree pumpkin? We tried that once before when he has acting constipated. I am pushing for a low level toilet for him.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are great at hiding pain. That's why even mild changes in behaviour should be taken in serious note.

One of the biggest signs for Nobel wasn't that he stopped doing things, but just that he was a little less sturdy when he did them and he had severe arthritis.

So I urge you to discuss with a vet.

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just pooped in the toilet, the peed in the toilet and then pooped outside the toilet on a little mat- just small amount of poo in the wrong place. He goes when my wife pushes him into the toilet. He gone in the second toilet (which has sand type rather than soft absorbent that he usually goes on). My wife puts it down as Alzheimer's. I would need her help to take him to the vet- we don't have a car and we live in Japan and she is Japanese.

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adding pumpkin to his diet has so far made an enormous difference- he still on occasion needs encouraging to go in the toilet but when alone he doesn't go in the wrong place. He has gone in his toilets all by himself a few times. However he is eating much slower possibly not three meals a days unlike before when he got through three meals but he was rarely desparate for early meals but not overeating overall.

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just went on the mat with a lot of poo. He has been not pooping not much each time he went to toilet for last few times.

Graciella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we had a senior cat with arthritis, so we put a stool next to the bed to make it easier for her to jump up. She got a monthly injection of cartrophen which seemed to help a lot.
She also started pooping out of the box and we never could figure it out or get her to stop. But by that time, she had more health issues than arthritis. She also was asthmatic and I had to give her a puffer once or twice a day. Then one day I was watching her because she was acting kind of weird and i decided to call the vet to make an appointment when she collapsed while I was on the phone. We rushed her down and they managed to revive her it turned out that she also had congestive heart failure and was put on meds for that too.
In spite of all her health problems and medications, she remained loving and happy, and was with us for a couple more good years. She was 16 when she finally crossed the bridge. None of the meds were traumatic for her, in fact people always got a kick out of watching her take her asthma puffer, I’d just flop her on her back on my lap and put the mask over her snout. She actually seemed to enjoy it, maybe she knew it helped. I had her cardiac meds compounded as liquid so there was no pilling involved so her last years were as comfortable as we could make them. She deserved it, she was a wonderful kitty.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How big is your home? Is it more than 1 floor? How many litter boxes does he have? How often do you clean his litter box? When was the last time he saw a vet? Does he have to jump to get into the litter box? Has he shown any signs of decline in cognitive function?

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies but it is definitely not arthritis since he is so active with no hesitation to do anything physical rather he is a big clumsy cat.
Pumpkin in his diet fixed everything. He had a bit of the runs i guess.

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way I just confirmed that he has to have pumpkin in just about every meal. My silly wife gave him chunks of pumpkin with his lunch and of course he didn't eat it. No idea about breakfast because he ate before I woke up at 7 am. Naturally Fluffy left a big poop present on the big white mat that covers the living room.

Graciella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bought plastic hallway runner from the hardware store and laid it down over the carpet in front of the box. It’s much easier to clean when kitty has an accident.