Why is my moms cat not grieving her loss?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My moms dog is moping around since she passed, he looks sad all the time and sometimes skips meals.

Meanwhile, my moms cat is only being a little extra affectionate to me. She used to mainly be affectionate with my mom, but a few weeks before my mom passed she would be affectionate with the both of us. Now that my moms not here, shes being a little extra affectionate to me. But thats all, shes eating and acting normally.

Do cats not feel the loss of their owners?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. 

Everyone grieves in their own way; this includes animals. Some people are very open and obvious and others are quiet and withdrawn. The cat being extra affectionate towards you could be her way of grieving by seeking reassurance and affection from the human still around. It could also be that the cat realized something was wrong and started grieving before your Mom actually passed away.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Everyone grieves in their own way; this includes animals. Some people are very open and obvious and others are quiet and withdrawn. The cat being extra affectionate towards you could be her way of grieving by seeking reassurance and affection from the human still around. It could also be that the cat realized something was wrong and started grieving before your Mom actually passed away.  
I agree with this 100%. People grieve differently and animals do as well. Just because it's not blatantly obvious that she is grieving, she likely is. You are providing her with the comfort she needs. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  The three of you will help each other to heal during this difficult time. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with this 100%. People grieve differently and animals do as well. Just because it's not blatantly obvious that she is grieving, she likely is. You are providing her with the comfort she needs. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  The three of you will help each other to heal during this difficult time. 
Thank you both =)

Elsa has continued being affectionate and seems almost desperate for affection. She spends the entire day following me around. Shes always by my side, if i try to pet my cat Kitty she pushes her so i can give her affection. Kitty gets jealous but doesnt do anything to stop her.

I am not used to overly affectionate cats. Kitty only needs love once a day, otherwise shes an independent cat. is there anything i can do to make elsa feel better? 

shes starting to drive me cuckoo. I was helping my niece clean up yesterday, and Elsa followed me to the living room table to get affection, then i went to the kitchen, and she went to the kitchen table. She started patting my arm to get affection again. Then ran back to the living room again. Standing where i was organizing on the table. 

Before i recorded this, i had spent a few minutes petting Elsa. I then went to pet Kitty. And thats how Elsa reacts. lol Ignore the mess, we are organizing my moms things. p.s. kitty was begging for extra food lol

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Last edited by a moderator:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my allergies are even starting to come back because shes around me so much. im normally allergic to cats, but im fine so long as i dont get too close. but Elsa is around me every moment that i am home. 
im having to start taking meds and i hate taking medication. 

i just want to find a way for her to feel at home and at peace with me.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too am so sorry for your loss.  Remember, time heals all wounds.  In time, your pets  will settle down and life will adjust and
 resume to it's new normalcy for your family. 

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My moms dog is moping around since she passed, he looks sad all the time and sometimes skips meals.

Meanwhile, my moms cat is only being a little extra affectionate to me. She used to mainly be affectionate with my mom, but a few weeks before my mom passed she would be affectionate with the both of us. Now that my moms not here, shes being a little extra affectionate to me. But thats all, shes eating and acting normally.

Do cats not feel the loss of their owners?
OUCH!

How are YOU? A mother's passing is a major sorrow. Hope you're okay.

Dogs are different than cats. They become your literal partner, almost a mate. Cats, not so much.

Dogs cry all day when you leave them, sit at the window. Cats curl up, yawn when you get home. They love you, but differently.

Give love to both.

And take care of you.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I too am so sorry for your loss.  Remember, time heals all wounds.  In time, your pets  will settle down and life will adjust and
 resume to it's new normalcy for your family. 
i really hope so. thanks for your kind words!

OUCH!

How are YOU? A mother's passing is a major sorrow. Hope you're okay.

Dogs are different than cats. They become your literal partner, almost a mate. Cats, not so much.

Dogs cry all day when you leave them, sit at the window. Cats curl up, yawn when you get home. They love you, but differently.

Give love to both.

And take care of you.
I have good and bad days, i try my best to keep myself busy, so i dont have time to get lost in sad memories. I miss my mom and think of her every day.

Its why i care about her cat Elsa. But i must admit shes starting to drive me crazy. Im used to my own cat who is very independent. ive been understanding with Elsa, but her constant need for affection gets on my nerves at times. im really not an overly affectionate person, its not that im uncaring, but i like that my cat is happy with getting a quick petting once a day. having elsa follow me every moment, even when im pooping
 starts to get my anxiety to go up. im hoping ill get used to it, or she'll start feeling stable soon. 

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything she like just as much as love ons? Like toys? Maybe try leaving the TV or a radio on.
It's hard but we have to try and think like cats. As humans we have a lot to distract us. Housework, actual work, friends, etc. The little cat doesn't. Her whole world consists of what's in the house. You, kitty, and the pup. If before most of her day consisted of getting love from your mom, then you have to find something to replace that.

But really, make sure you are taking care and making sure you're alright. I couldn't imagine what it would be like, but just know we are here for you as much as you need. All you have to do is login and let us know.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i really hope so. thanks for your kind words!

I have good and bad days, i try my best to keep myself busy, so i dont have time to get lost in sad memories. I miss my mom and think of her every day.

Its why i care about her cat Elsa. But i must admit shes starting to drive me crazy. Im used to my own cat who is very independent. ive been understanding with Elsa, but her constant need for affection gets on my nerves at times. im really not an overly affectionate person, its not that im uncaring, but i like that my cat is happy with getting a quick petting once a day. having elsa follow me every moment, even when im pooping
 starts to get my anxiety to go up. im hoping ill get used to it, or she'll start feeling stable soon. 
Wow, Elsa's a real love bug!

I have a cat that's like that, though she doesn't follow me into the john. So far. (Had another who liked to sit on the vanity and head butt me while nature was calling - me . . . ) TarBaby at least knows not to trample all over my computer keyboard.

Elsa wants love, your mother's gone, but you're there.

Maybe find someone who will appreciate Elsa's love bugginess? I mean that in the spirit of trying to help. Not everyone likes cats on their laps, just as not every cat wants to sit on one. (Sometimes I have to close the door and put Tarbaby on the other side to get some work done.)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, Elsa's a real love bug!

I have a cat that's like that, though she doesn't follow me into the john. So far. (Had another who liked to sit on the vanity and head butt me while nature was calling - me . . . ) TarBaby at least knows not to trample all over my computer keyboard.

Elsa wants love, your mother's gone, but you're there.

Maybe find someone who will appreciate Elsa's love bugginess? I mean that in the spirit of trying to help. Not everyone likes cats on their laps, just as not every cat wants to sit on one. (Sometimes I have to close the door and put Tarbaby on the other side to get some work done.)
i appreciate the help and know you mean well, but i have no intention of getting rid of Elsa. I would never abandon my mothers cat, i would never disrespect her memory like that. all i asked for was advice on how to make Elsa feel secure, not for someone to tell me to get rid of her.

Again, i know you mean well, but my mom loved her very much, the thought of someone telling me i shouldnt keep Elsa, is like telling me to get rid of a part of my mom.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything she like just as much as love ons? Like toys? Maybe try leaving the TV or a radio on.
It's hard but we have to try and think like cats. As humans we have a lot to distract us. Housework, actual work, friends, etc. The little cat doesn't. Her whole world consists of what's in the house. You, kitty, and the pup. If before most of her day consisted of getting love from your mom, then you have to find something to replace that.

But really, make sure you are taking care and making sure you're alright. I couldn't imagine what it would be like, but just know we are here for you as much as you need. All you have to do is login and let us know.
Thank you! I've started putting cat tv on, i'll try to keep it up every day. I'll try to start playing with the cats again, as i stopped doing it with everything thats gone on.

Thanks again for the help, my family has been a great support, especially my older sister. but i still have bad days, especially yesterday being christmas. 

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i appreciate the help and know you mean well, but i have no intention of getting rid of Elsa. I would never abandon my mothers cat, i would never disrespect her memory like that. all i asked for was advice on how to make Elsa feel secure, not for someone to tell me to get rid of her.

Again, i know you mean well, but my mom loved her very much, the thought of someone telling me i shouldnt keep Elsa, is like telling me to get rid of a part of my mom.
Understood!

My mother died in 2002 and I still miss her, too.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Understood!

My mother died in 2002 and I still miss her, too.
im sorry for your loss 

my grandmother died when i was 15 and my uncle when my mom was pregnant with me. my mom once told me that she never got over their loss. that you learn to go on, but all it takes is something reminding you of them, and the grief comes back. 

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I've started putting cat tv on, i'll try to keep it up every day. I'll try to start playing with the cats again, as i stopped doing it with everything thats gone on.

Thanks again for the help, my family has been a great support, especially my older sister. but i still have bad days, especially yesterday being christmas. :sigh:
I am so sorry for your loss, and God bless you are your sister for being so strong. I would be a total mess. Good luck with everything and if there's anything else we can help you with just let us know

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, and God bless you are your sister for being so strong. I would be a total mess. Good luck with everything and if there's anything else we can help you with just let us know
thank you for your kind words. my sister and i have faith we will see mom again one day, God helps to keep us strong. I thought i would be a total mess as well, and i was in the beginning, but my sister has helped to keep me going. 

By the way, i love your username. 

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your kind words. my sister and i have faith we will see mom again one day, God helps to keep us strong. I thought i would be a total mess as well, and i was in the beginning, but my sister has helped to keep me going. 

By the way, i love your username. :lol:
Awe thanks lol, its the story of my life. Ever since I can remember I've been constantly rescueing animals. If they can't take care of them, dont want them, or can't treat them right, just let me know and I will take them.