Why Is My Cat Throwing Up Blood?

nort_knee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey All,

My cat has been throwing up for about 4 days now. At first it was just this white foam, then we noticed he was throwing up all of his food every time he ate. So we tried different food, wet (canned) and dry food. But, he threw up both ... every time. Last night we tried to keep the food away from him in case it was just that he was eating too fast or too much. But this morning he threw up 2 more times with just the white foam. So we decided to give him some water about an hour ago and he still threw it up but this time it had blood in it.

We have an appointment to see a doctor but all of them around us you have to have an appointment in advance so we are having to wait to even see a doctor even if it is serious.

I'm so worried about him because he is only a year old and is not digesting anything.

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I cannot say for certain what your cat has but right now, you should be looking for an emergency vet that can take your cat in ASAP. Especially because this has been happening over several days. Keep a close eye on him as he will most likely be very dehydrated. No one on this forum can help your cat as much as a one on one examination with a vet.
Good luck!:vibes:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. I agree with the advice given above. If you feel comfortable could you please provide some general information about where you are located. It may be a very long shot but perhaps someone on here has good relationship with a local vet in your area that could be helpful to get an appointment sooner. I would be more than willing to help you with research. If you do not feel comfortable sharing your location in the forum and you want to you can send me a private message with the information. If you need help sending a private message please ask and one of us will guide you through it.

Do you have an ER vet in your area at all? They are more expensive but usually take walk-ins. I am very concerned because of the length of time this has been happening and the blood. Unfortunately none of us are vets and your kitty needs to be examined in person to figure out what is going on. You could try calling and asking your vet where they send patients when they are not open or that need urgent care when they have no appointments available. The vets office may have a relationship with another office in the area that takes walk-ins by referal. Even if you have to drive further for emergency care it would be worth it.

I have another question and the vet may even ask you this. Was there any changes in his pee or poop before the vomiting started? Has there been any changes in his litter box habits before the vomiting started? By this I mean less or more frequent pee or poop, changes in the size of the pee or poop., any crying or signs of straining while using the litter box. I am trying to figure out if your baby is showing signs of pain in addition to the vomiting.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nort_knee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. I agree with the advice given above. If you feel comfortable could you please provide some general information about where you are located. It may be a very long shot but perhaps someone on here has good relationship with a local vet in your area that could be helpful to get an appointment sooner. I would be more than willing to help you with research. If you do not feel comfortable sharing your location in the forum and you want to you can send me a private message with the information. If you need help sending a private message please ask and one of us will guide you through it.

Do you have an ER vet in your area at all? They are more expensive but usually take walk-ins. I am very concerned because of the length of time this has been happening and the blood. Unfortunately none of us are vets and your kitty needs to be examined in person to figure out what is going on. You could try calling and asking your vet where they send patients when they are not open or that need urgent care when they have no appointments available. The vets office may have a relationship with another office in the area that takes walk-ins by referal. Even if you have to drive further for emergency care it would be worth it.

I have another question and the vet may even ask you this. Was there any changes in his pee or poop before the vomiting started? Has there been any changes in his litter box habits before the vomiting started? By this I mean less or more frequent pee or poop, changes in the size of the pee or poop., any crying or signs of straining while using the litter box. I am trying to figure out if your baby is showing signs of pain in addition to the vomiting.
-
Thank you so much for your help! I found a place that is going to fit me in sooner because of the circumstance. They are having us come in within the next hour.

About the other questions, his pee and poop have been the same and the same of times he goes in is the same as always. He doesn't seem to show any signs of pain. Besides the vomiting, he is acting the same as he usually is.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome. I am glad you were able to get an appointment faster. I am glad to hear about the pee and poop being normal. I hope you get some answers soon to so your baby starts feeling better. Please update when you can after the appointment. We worry with you here.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know what you found out! :hugs:

He could be having some blood show up because of the frequent vomiting alone (like irritation to the capillaries in the throat, esophagus, upper GI, just from the multiple bouts of vomiting, poor guy), but something is making him vomit for many days now in the first place and that's where you need to find out what is causing it. I'm hoping he didn't ingest anything that is triggering the vomiting, like string or toy parts or something else -- or that there isn't something physiological.
:vibes: :vibes: :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nort_knee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exciting news!
We got to the doctor and they examined him, did some X-rays and determined the blood was just from the constant vomiting. They said nothing is showing on his X rays. They think the vomiting is from him either eating too much or too fast that his body doesn't have time to digest it. They put him on a lite diet and fluid therapy in his shoulder to help with stomach pain. The doctor said if it continues for more than two more days to bring him back in and they will try something else. But the best part is that their wasn't anything stuck in him. So our prayers are answered and hoping our baby starts to feel better with this medicine!