Why is my cat still limping?

Janeh60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Last Wednesday Mr T came home holding up his back rear foot, in a lot of pain, crying, hiding etc.

He does get into fights sometimes so I thought probably a bite.

Took him straight to vet who examined him, couldn’t feel anything wrong, said wasn’t broken, gave him a shot of Metacam & said to keep an eye on him.

After two days he was still not bearing any weight on the leg at all but otherwise happy, eating etc.

Took him back to vets Friday, saw a different one who did a very thorough exam of whole leg, paw, hip etc but said it all felt fine & Mr T wasn’t particularly reacting to pressure applied in any particular area.

Gave him some antibiotics to take with the metacam.

There’s been no improvement in the limp.

It’s been 5 days now & he’s still putting no weight on his leg at all & I’m getting really worried about him now.

I can’t believe something isn’t very wrong but vet insists it all feels fine.

Could a sprain, pulled muscle or something cause this?

Thanks in advance for any help, I’m so worried about him.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a pulled muscle and they take ages to heal. The best help you can give him if it is muscular is cage rest or restricted movements if possible. Heat also eases the discomfort so if you are able to confine him, a hot water bottle ( not boiling hot but warm) wrapped in a towel or cloth in his bed or sleeping area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janeh60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I have those microwave heat pads, I will try that.
He’s confined to one room & isn’t moving around a lot, but I could cage him, do you think that would be better?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call the vet back and ask if there would be some benefit to having him on an anti-inflammatory for longer than just that one injection. Also, ask the vet how long you are supposed to wait to see improvement and what would be the next step to take if you don't.