Why is my cat so afraid of flea treatment?

tigermuma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She always reacts by scrunching up her neck and trying to run away. Then when I let her go she runs away like lightning. It takes 20 minutes or so before I can pet her again. :( Does flea treatment hurt or is she just freaked out for some other reason? I don't like her being afraid of me. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's pretty smelly stuff and cats have very sensitive noses.  But check the site where you put the treatment to make sure there isn't any inflammation or other signs of skin problems.

You could try giving her a favourite treat immediately after the treament.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, one of my cats tries to "run away" from the smell. But it subsides after about 24-48 hours. For some cats, it makes their skin itch. Please, please, please use a quality flea treatment like Advantage or Frontline. When I was younger (before I educated myself), I used a Hartz flea treatment on Boo and it landed him in the ER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigermuma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use advantage.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it can sting or itch.  At the very least, the sensation of wetness may startle her.  Check the site where you apply it and make sure there are no bald spots or flaking.  If so, you may need to change brands

If she does have irritation, check with the vet, as most products use varying amounts of the same ingredient.  If she's sensitive to that ingredient, it won't help much to change brands.  You may need another approach.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Revolution smells like alcohol. Matt hates it when I put it on, and I always have to lock the basement door so that he can't go and disappear. I'm certain that it feel uncomfortable, probably cold to his skin. But it's better for his health than fleas ticks or worms, so he gets it anyway :)

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always wondered why Holly ran whenever I did the flea treatment on her (Advantage multi).  But now I understand, it might sting and probably does smell bad. 

But it's a necessary evil.  I'm glad I've been good about giving her this medicine.  Sam- the new kitten we brought in 2 weeks ago, wound up having parasites.  With one of the parasites he had- Holly's already got medicine for it in her flea treatment, so at least I wasn't having to give antibiotics to 2 cats.  It was bad enough that I had to play "chase the Sam" for 10 days giving him meds, I shudder to think what it would have been like giving "her highness" oral medicine.

Cheryl

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I give my cat sandy his flea treatment after he has had it he always runs and hide under the bed I give him his favourite treat then in his own time he comes round

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Advantage on all five of my cats.

ALL OF THEM HATE IT. But, the majority more or less acquiesce to the treatment: they cringe when I put it on then run like lightning. I've been using it for years, and they still hate it. But, it gets rid of the fleas.

One, the infamous Zika (a snowshoe mix, pictured below), becomes a tiny Tigress of Terror; when I grab her to put the stuff on, she turns to steel and starts biting and scratching. So, I sneak up on her and do it when she's napping. Most of the time, I manage to get enough on her to keep the fleas at bay. (I wear goggles, in case she bolts; you DON'T want that flea killer in your eyes.) She's suspicious for a while, then gets over it.

Big Boy, a somewhat psycho Maine Coon mix is also resistant, but I can usually sneak up on him more easily.

MissKitty29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Frontline flea treatments for my cats. I think they hate the noise the tube makes when I squeeze it. They usually run away after I put it on them. I let them calm down for a little bit, and then everything is back to normal.