Why is my cat moving her kittens so much

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had her 3 kittens about 5 weeks ago(they live outside), they were doing really well, didnt seem like they had any health problems. At 9:30 PM, last night, they were just playing in front of our house, and at 9:45 PM, 2 of them were nowhere to be seen. Then she was gone all night long..This morning, since 6 AM, now its 9 AM, she kept crying and crying I thought something happened with them, she kept licking her belly. I thought she was maybe mourning?? But it turned out that she was calling for her last baby to come with. As soon as I left her side more, she took him by the neck to the neighbour's garden(she has hidden places everywhere). She has had 2 more litters years before this and this isnt the first time she does so. Basically it all goes like this: I stay by her side everytime she has birth because she asks me to, after 3-7 days, she moves them, she brings them after 4 weeks, they stay for about a week or so, then moves them again.Its like an annual routine. Last year, she brought them back when they were like 8 weeks old I think( and they stayed for good haha). Why does she do this? Does she feel threatened by something? Is it because we give the babies too much attention? She always seems to hate it when we touch them too much and she absolutely hates it when a stranger does so. I just think she s overly protective maybe.. Is this normal? She s the sweetest cat and she makes the sweetest babies too, calm and loving and we wouldnt do anything to hurt her. I am happy they are fine and hopefully she will bring them back like she always does, I just dont understand why is she scared of keeping them with us:(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is an instinct. When anyone or anything pays too much attention to her young, she will move them. The kittens need to be socialized though, so they should be played with, just not too much. A cat can't reason that you would never hurt them, I hope she doesn't move them to where they can't be found. She WILL bring them back for feeding, you might play with them then. Please consider spaying her, the constant stress of litter after litter is draining, not to mention all the extra mouths to feed!