Why Is My Cat Laying With His Face In His Bowl

The Cats Cacoethes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m worried about my cat. He’s been sick recently and we found out he had diabetes about a couple months ago. He’s been settling in to the insulin and getting a bit better but he always lays with his face in the water dish. Sometimes I’m afraid he’ll fall asleep and drown. He’s never done this before but now he spends almost all day just laying with his face in the water. His fur is always soaking wet on one side and I’m worried it might be prolonging his sickness. He looks so scraggly and sad and I wish he would stop laying their since he also hasn’t been grooming himself well. Please help, my poor soggy boy is losing his handsome flare.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be he is trying to keep his head elevated due to a medical problem. Maybe the bowl is the easiest way.
Honestly, I would describe the situation to your vet and ask them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing to do is to take your cat to the vet. Lying face down in the water bowl is not normal. Take a picture of your cat lying in the water bowl to show your vet.

You may also want to post on the FelineDiabetes.com message board for more expert advice and tips on managing the diabetes. Diabetes isn't discussed very often here on TCS and definitely not as in depth as the FelineDiabetes.com board.

You're welcome to continue to post here on TCS all about your cat :) There are forums here on TCS to discuss behavior, general cat issues, some fun forums for general non cat discussion, etc. We love seeing pictures of members cats:camera: