Why is my cat doing this??

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Friends,

For the past week now my 2 1/2 year old Tabby (whose name is Brownie-Kins) has developed a habit of jumping on the keyboard of my computer every time I'm trying to use it. I know it's deliberate for two reasons:

1). If the computers in the house are unoccupied, she will not even bother with it.

2). No matter which computer I use (my desktop in my bedroom or the laptop I have in the dining room), she makes it a point to jump up on the desk, block my view of the computer screen and curl up on the keyboard for a nap. It never fails. Even if I pick her up to take off of the computer stand she immediately jumps right back up there.

This is becoming quite irritating. Does anyone else's cat do this to them or does anyone here know why she may be doing this?

As a side note, Brownie's daughter, Aja-kins, uses my computer time to curl up on my lap and sleep. What's up with that?

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered that because my cat does it all the time. I think it may have to do with the heat coming off of the keyboard/laptop. It makes sense they don't do it when it's not in use because it's cold.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's doing it because she wants to be near you. It's their way of showing affection. You picking her up is reinforcing her behavior - she thinks you're giving her attention. 

If you don't want her on the keyboard, you can try teaching her not to jump onto your tables where you use your desktop and laptop. This article may have ideas you could use: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/get-off-how-to-discourage-your-cat-from-jumping-on-counters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr wendall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks molldee and Fhi09,

Fhi09, it's funny that you mention Brownie is showing me affection and wanting to be near me. Due to Brownie's history before we got her, she would allow us to get but so snuggly and cuddly with her and isn't the type to be held or lay in your lap (although she and I play all of the time). If any of us were to pick her up she would worm and squirm and jump down. She would never jump on our laps to cuddle and take naps which is a oft repeated complaint from my wife. As for me, I was willing to accept that she would never be a lap cat. She's still a sweet heart.

Now our kitten Aja IS a lap kitten which is one of the reasons my wife chose to keep her. She wants a little furball who would cuddle and snuggle and all of that cute stuff. Aja is ALWAYS laying and sleeping on my lap and she lays down and cuddles under me or on me while I am laying on the couch on Sundays watching football.

But guess what happened today? Brownie jumped up and laid down on my lap three times today. Twice she fell asleep on my lap and the third time earlier this evening she was chilling on my lap and purring while I pet and rub her. History was made today. I've noticed within the past week that Brownie is becoming and more "intimate" with me lately.

Okay, altogether on three. One...two...three (Aaaaawwwwwwww).

I told you guys she's a sweet heart.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks molldee and Fhi09,

Fhi09, it's funny that you mention Brownie is showing me affection and wanting to be near me. Due to Brownie's history before we got her, she would allow us to get but so snuggly and cuddly with her and isn't the type to be held or lay in your lap (although she and I play all of the time). If any of us were to pick her up she would worm and squirm and jump down. She would never jump on our laps to cuddle and take naps which is a oft repeated complaint from my wife. As for me, I was willing to accept that she would never be a lap cat. She's still a sweet heart.
My cat is like that. He wants to be near me (right now he's at my feet) but he is not a lap cat. I pick him up occasionally (he doesn't like it) just to get him used to me picking him up (nothing bad will happen, I promise!).

Some cats change their mind after some time (could be weeks, months, years, who knows?) and decide that being a lap cat isn't so scary after all - just like your Brownie. I've had Jed for two months, so it's a speck of time in a cat's lifetime. Maybe in three years' time, history will be made. Maybe never at all.

But I'm okay with that.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given up trying to keep them off the desk while I'm using the computer. I have two (out of three) that love to lay in between me and the keyboard. They want to be near me and want my attention. All they know is that my attention is on some rectangular, glowing thing and they don't like it.  

So, I've made them a spot next to the computer and keyboard with a soft blanket that they'll lay on quietly and contently while I do my thing. They're happy and I'm not being bugged.