Why is he suddenly biting my face?!

csteen85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not due to overstimulation. I'm really concerned, because I don't know what's causing it and it's scary for me anyway.

Last week, I was sick. So, I was laying on the sofa a lot and he'd join me and snuggle with me so peacefully. I thought we had really bonded, because he was extra snuggly with me.

Then, this week, I'm feeling better, but I was laying on the sofa this morning anyway and he came to knead on my stomach for a bit. Then, he laid down facing me on my stomach/chest and I wasn't even touching him, because he looked sleepy and was purring. Suddenly he started lunging at my face to nip me. I kept saying no and pulling him back, but he kept lunging. Finally, he got the left side of my face in his mouth and broke skin. I pushed him away and stood up quickly, but I don't understand why he's doing this.

A few hours later, he came to lay on my chest again, this time facing away from me and he actually reached around to lunge at my face AGAIN. Again, I was not touching him.

This week, he's done this a few other times this week... I was holding him, trying to carry him out of the room I was trying to put something together in, which he always lets me do, but he turned around and got the corner of my eyebrow in his teeth and broke skin. I put him down, said NO and walked away, even though I was majorly pissed.

Yesterday morning, he was laying on the ground, and he does this thing where he flops on his back and asks for a tummy rub. So, I was rubbing his tummy and I kneeled down to make kissy faces at him (which I do all the time) and he lunged forward and bit down on my top lip.

This has only been going on a few days, but I'm starting to look like a battered woman. He's usually so affectionate, cuddly, energetic. I don't know why he keeps trying to bite my face and I don't know how to stop him. I'm starting to get very nervous when he's close to me and I don't want that. By the way, every time he does this, he's purring and he continues purring after he bites.

Is he acting affectionately in cat language or is he acting dominantly? What can I do?

He's about 7-8 months old and we've had him for about three months. This is the first time he's ever been like this.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like play aggression, and you need to lay down the law and set boundaries and repercussions. "No" sounds too much like regular human yakyakyak that most cats I think tune out, and pulling away isn't really a big deal from his standpoint. I'd do a loud "TSSS!" which is a unique sound or hiss and clap loudly with your hands while standing up which makes you look large and imposing. Judgment call on if its necessary, but if very aggressive I would scruff with one hand, support the body with the other, and immediately put in a small room like a bathroom for timeout.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a question - have you changed any lotions or ointments or anything on or near your face in the last few days. I've read some cats absolutely go nuts when there's anything minty around - and some of those cold ointments have menthol in them.

My boy sometimes wants to 'love nip' - I've always made a very big OWWW and hissed at him. He seems to have gotten the idea.

BTW, he's neutered, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

csteen85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let everyone know what we've done to resolve this problem:

We learned how to properly "scruff" him. When he needs to be disciplined, the only physical contact we make with him is by firmly, but not forcefully taking hold of his scruff, and not lifting him, but pressing him down toward the floor. We hold him there until he visibly relaxes (and he does) and then we praise him.

So far, it's been working wonders!

I just wanted to let everyone know how we resolved this issue, in case any one else is also having it.