Why is Haylo starting to do this now since he has been living here since May?

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Haylo has recently decided to jump up onto the fridge and try to open the cupboards that are directly above the fridge, he never gets the doors open fully so they go slamming shut again and again. I'm not sure what to do about this as it gets extremely annoying in the middle of the night. I have taken him off the fridge and repeatedly told him no in a firm voice but he just keeps doing it. I have also now started putting him in "time out" when he does it but hes just not cluing into what he is doing. Am I going to have to childproof my house just to get him it to stop or is he going to find something else to annoy the boyfriend, roommate and I with? What do I do this has been going on for a few weeks now, I figured it would just stop but its not. Please let me know of what I can try to solve this problem. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm might have to try this to keep him from doing that but not sure Marigold will like me thats here get away from Haylo safe spot that he's now invading. I will try and see how this goes. Thanks

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil Annie

So Haylo has recently decided to jump up onto the fridge and try to open the cupboards that are directly above the fridge, he never gets the doors open fully so they go slamming shut again and again. I'm not sure what to do about this as it gets extremely annoying in the middle of the night. I have taken him off the fridge and repeatedly told him no in a firm voice but he just keeps doing it. I have also now started putting him in "time out" when he does it but hes just not cluing into what he is doing. Am I going to have to childproof my house just to get him it to stop or is he going to find something else to annoy the boyfriend, roommate and I with? What do I do this has been going on for a few weeks now, I figured it would just stop but its not. Please let me know of what I can try to solve this problem. Thanks
He's doing it because he can! I know it's annoying, but it's really just natural curiosity and love of high places. If you have the type of cabinets with handles, you can get child-proof cabinet door locks for your cabinets. We have the kind that look like a bow and have an adjustable tension thing in the middle. They just hook over the knobs. We leave them loose enough that we don't have to undo them everytime, just unhook them and re-hook them.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few of mine do this as well but Elliott is REALLY bad for it. We had to go out and buy childproof locks to solve the problem.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, he is doing it because he can and because it's fun

We have the same thing going on and just bought childproof locks to install them this weekend. Our Chloe slams the bottom cabinet doors and after she slams them good she holds herself with her front paws from the top of the door and swings the door open while she is hanging on. It's hilarious to watch

Marina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I went and bought the childproof locks and he has tried it once and must have gave up because its been quiet ever since. I'm still not sure why he would start doing it all of a sudden, he's still the trouble maker out of the two.