Why is declawing not illegal in the US?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if either of the regulations (or other country regulations) are worded to include large cats (lions, cougars, leopards etc) because those cats have a truly horrible time with it.
De-clawing and de-fanging wild animals is not allowed anywhere in the country for USDA-licensed animal keepers (zoos, circuses, breeders, licensed owners, etc.). But I'm sure that someone keeping a big cat illegally could also find a vet to de-claw and/or de-fang it illegally :(.

This thread was started 10 years ago :D. It's funny what gets resurrected sometimes.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it was illegal here!!!

My vet is only one of eight in my state that doesn't declaw, according to the Paw Project. It might not be the cheapest vet in the area, but it's important for me to support.

I was talking to a lady last week about it - she had adopted already declawed cats back when she lived where she could have cats and kept going on about how they didn't have any problems and if a cat was in pain it was because the procedure wasn't done right or the cat was too old or young (apparently she thought there was a proper age) and I was SO mad. :angryfire::argh::cloudy::fuming:

I could never imagine mutilating my girl like that.