Why I prefer cats over dogs

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cat father

I grew up with dogs---first a Collie-Cocker Spaniel mix, and then a purebred Siberian Husky---and although they were sometimes affectionate, they had a lot of flaws. Both of them would knock things over, beg for food, pester guests, and be typical loud dogs. The former was also very grouchy and would eat out of the garbage and later vomit on the floor.
I love cats AND dogs (and other pets.)
In general, dogs require training. In my experience you socialize and train a dog they do not exhibit most of those behaviors.
My dogs have not been the type who are smelly, pestering, begging or knocking things over. As for being loud that partially depends on the breed/type of dog and their personality. I did have a loud dog, but he was a terrier so I expected him to be loud. I taught him to "quiet" on command. I did have a dog who would get into the garbage due (she was not raised well in her previous home) but she never vomited or smelled bad and I learned how to manage the problem to prevent her getting into the garbage. (If you want to talk about vomiting by the way, I think cats have cornered the market on that particular trait LOL.)
My previous dog Ginger was a therapy dog. She was very well behaved and also well trained thanks to all the work I did with her. She visited hospitals and helped patients with their physical therapy goals. We were also involved with another organization where therapy dogs helped children with reading literacy (DECIBEL testing showed marked improvement in reading skills with this program.)

My dog Bianca does not knock things over, jump on people, pester people, or bark incessantly. She does not get into garbage. She does not smell. (actually we're off to the groomer now in about 20 minutes.)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love both cats and dogs. I think cats are definitely cleaner but at the same time more stubborn and think they are superior to their owners ...lol I think it's cute and I have a bond with my baby Jake even though he thinks he's alpha over me. However, it does require sacrifices- he makes a mess all the time by knocking things over from shelfs, frequently breaks things...I am okay with this because I love him and he's more important to me than all those things. But the disadvantage is, some people want to train their cats and there is simply no way to train cats- you can work around their habits and use a few tricks to make living together easier and less destructive such as scratching posts, etc but cats will not listen to their owner and obey like dogs do. Dogs require a lot of time and energy to train though....Anyways both cats and dogs make me equally happy & I can love them both the same