Why have so few members joined our live TCS Skypecasts and chats?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I missed the last chat because I slept too late
. I'm about to download Skype when I'm done typing this, but I have one concern. I can't PM so would I be able to even join in? I suppose I could email.
They even invite people to chat during the actual skypecast (and are happy to hear new voices) so it is not such a big deal (while the chats are still smaller in members I guess) if you can't ask before the show.

Originally Posted by theimp98

i thought it was a girls day out thing
lol
naw i was to busy to join in on sunday.
Ryan was there - not sure how he would take to it being a 'girl thing'

Originally Posted by Fats McGee

Honestly, I don't have a mic/earphones thingie. If it was typing, I'd be down, I but can't afford a headset.
There is a typing room that runs along with the talking room

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I didn't join simply because I can't hear.
lol, I read through the thread and this is the first reason I can't come up with a solution to, Keylle... (nice to see you btw!
) Would still love to see you in the chat room!

Thank you for the feedback everyone. We may try to play around with times, but I suspect that it will be impossible to find a time that will be good for everyone. Different people, with different schedules, on top of being in so many different time zones. I will have to see with Gaye and co., but I wouldn't mind trying a US evening/night time show, to see if this might help.

To clarify regarding some points here -

1. Skype is a small piece of software, malware free and quick and painless to install.

2. Listening to a Skypecast (which is what this type of broadcast is) only involves a single channel of listening on your part (no not overloading your computer with multiple windows/operations even when we have several speakers at once).

3. You can stick to listening only. In fact, we probably won't be able to have more than a few participants in any single show.

4. All you need is a way to hear sound on your computer. This could be either speakers or earphones, whatever you usually use. If you can hear the recordings, or any other sound from you computer for that matter, then you are fully geared to tune in on the show!

5. The shows usually involve a little more than the topic itself. For example, we might chat a little about some things that are going on in the forums, have an interview with a member (we have our own Ryan as a special guest last time!), and you can expect quite a few minutes of chit chat. Check out the recordings, you'll see what I mean.

I hope that these shows will catch on and that we get some sort of a following. I think we had a great show on Sunday, with so much valuable information, I really hope more cat lovers will benefit from it in the future. We have plans for contests as well, with some cool prizes, and other features.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was in the early hours of the morning, and I'm on dial up. I'm not much of a chatter so I'd probably just listen/read anyway.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Skype is a small piece of software, malware free and quick and painless to install.
The size of the program was a concern of mine as I am on dial-up and have a 7 year old computer and OS.

But I may give it a go. I have listened to the recordings and enjoyed listening. (Ari seemed really enthralled by Tania's voice.
)

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't particularly want Skype on my pc - no reason, thought people could use msn or similar as you can chat on that free now - with a headset of course.........

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have dial up and the first time I downloaded skype too late and couldn't get the test call to work. Now I had to do a system restore and have to download skype again (grrr). If I can get it figured out I would really like to participate!!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

I didn't particularly want Skype on my pc - no reason, thought people could use msn or similar as you can chat on that free now - with a headset of course.........
Same here, except that I don't have a headset to use (we don't need one for anything else). Add to this the fact that I can't chat at work
and when I'm at home, J's usually hogging the computer (it is his, after all), chat just doesn't work for me. It's not due to lack of interest, however.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have ANY chat programs on my computer, on purpose.

Beyond that, on Sunday mornings I usually sleep really late (I try to sleep till noon if possible, when I can,) or else I'm up and out of the house really early, especially in nice weather.

So that's why you haven't seen me join in. Sorry - if there had been a poll asking who was interested, I would have indicated that I don't have an interest in this. I just don't "do" chat rooms.

I still love TCS, though!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my home computer is a 5-6 year old iMac, running OS8.5, i think. will Skype work with that? i know i can't use firefox, opera or safari with it... & the highest netscape i can use is one of the 7s.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I briefly checked out the downloading part and didn't really like it - so I never downloaded the system. I don't have a mic either.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Windows

System requirements

* PC running Windows 2000 or XP. (Windows 2000 users require DirectX 9.0 for video calls).
* Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection).
* Speakers and microphone - built-in or separate.
* To make video calls you’ll need a computer with at least a 1GHz processor, 256 MB RAM and of course a webcam.
* We also recommend that you have at least a 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM and 50 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
Mac

System requirements

* Mac computer with G4 800 Mhz processor or faster.
* Mac OS X v10.3.9 Panther or later.
* 512 MB RAM.
* 40 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
* Microphone.
* Webcam: suggested webcams include Apple iSight, Philips SPC900NC, or Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. Drivers for the Philips and Logitech webcams can be downloaded from http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/.
* Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection).

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't - I want too, but with a 2 year old and a 1 year old and me back at work, I only have finite time with them and I want to make the most of it. Maybe when they are old (and I'm not on dial up).

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have dial up and it is to frustrating to down load and try to figure stuff out.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm in Australia so the chats are normally at about 2am when I'm sound asleep

But I love downloading them afterwards and listening to them!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Windows

Mac
Skype itself is available for the Mac, but Skypecast isn't compatible. Skypecast is Windows only at the moment.

I've tried both times to get on, but as I now know, it's because I'm a "Maccer"

To those running it - maybe you need a post advertising it, and make it very clear in the title that "No mic or speakers needed". Those who think you HAVE to have those to join in probably don't even bother. Obviously it's a much beter experience if you can at least hear what people are saying, but it won't ruin it if you can only type.

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just thought i would say something...

i have seen that some people have been problems with skype.. which is understandable, especially on older model computers, and it takes a fair amount of CPU, so a suggestion would be to use Ventrillio (sp?). That is what most the gamers use, its easy, fast, and takes up far less CPU than skype..

but it was just a suggestion..
when i get home ill try and figure out my information on skype and join in next time, from the feedback. it seems quite inteteresting.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have a good excuse i havent been home.

But if you want to add me here is my user name Fwancesca.

I just downloaded it right this second for any of you who would like to talk to me at the odd times im online!