Why have kids? Rant!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still think you or someone else should "drop a dime" on this girl... call Child Welfare or Social Services in their home state. This is terribly unfair to the little girl and to the baby that's coming.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know this example and a bunch of others makes me want mandatory sterilization for some people. IMO anyone that has a child and cannot financially care for it without using the welfare system for years should be made to give that child up for adoption to a couple that can provide. And then be sterilized!

And it should be mandatory that anyone having a child under the age of 21 have the child be taken from them and adopted!

BTW I AM adopted (so is my sister) and I only had one child as I knew I could not afford more.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

And it should be mandatory that anyone having a child under the age of 21 have the child be taken from them and adopted!
I respectfully take offense to that statement. I got pregnant when I was 16 years old. We did get married and I gave birth to my son. I also finished high school. And later on, went on to college and received my degree. Our son is happily married and we are the proud grandparents of two grandchildren. And we've been married now for almost 40 years.

During the way, there were difficult times and I'd be the first one to admit that. But to automatically take my son away because I was under 21? That's just wrong. Everybody should not be painted with the same brush.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

I respectfully take offense to that statement. I got pregnant when I was 16 years old. We did get married and I gave birth to my son. I also finished high school. And later on, went on to college and received my degree. Our son is happily married and we are the proud grandparents of two grandchildren. And we've been married now for almost 40 years.

During the way, there were difficult times and I'd be the first one to admit that. But to automatically take my son away because I was under 21? That's just wrong. Everybody should not be painted with the same brush.
I have to agree. I have many friends that have had children before turning 21 and they are amazing mothers. 2 are in college finishing their degree, and one is a manager and a parts store. I dont think age has so much to do with it as maturity and understanding what a HUGE task parenthood is! One girl was pregnant with twins her senior year, graduated with a 4.0, and will be graduating college next year and has been on the deans list every year. But those two girls are some of the happiest toddlers I have met!

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've known 30-40 yr old 'moms' who are about as matur as an 15 yr old--at least in terms of the 'so-called' average teenager--note I said 'so-called' average. The thing is to give would be mothers some kind of education such that they know what those risks are for pete sake. But do we do that? Nooooooo---

I've alwaays wondered how some get to be so pregnant at such a young age--one way? Noone to talk to about abstenance--we don't want to hurt their feelings when it comes to things like self control--why not? My wife and I held off on having a child simply because we could not afford one until we got ourselves sorted out. Now we have a mature 27 year old in Japan doing his own thing--with his own family