why does she put her toys in the water dish?

mtnbikerchk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think it's to watch me go in a fish it out.

but then sometimes she fishes it out herself.

my cats are nuts.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone in my house does this too...but never when I'm around. So, I have no idea which cat likes to dunk toys! I have found all kinds of things in the water dish, including a Cat Dancer (long wire with rolled-up cardboard on the end), furry mice, ribbons......

Cats are too wacky!

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do the strangest things.... Cooper always puts her ping pong balls in the water dish! Just to swat them out, and chase a wet ball across the hardwood floor!!!

Silly

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat have bad deapth perception - my mom's girl piper does this so she can judge where the water line is! My boy just bobs his head down a couple of time to gauge where the water is.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of mine used to do this. Then they figured out that if they put their toys in the water, they didn't want to/couldn't get them out to play with. Now the toys go in the food dish. Although Trent went through a couple days recently of putting his sparkle balls into the toilet. He lost a couple that way, so he's back to the food bowl again.

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got Echo 4 years ago, I noticed that there was loose change in her water bowl. I just assumed that my ex-boyfriend was being onery with me...but after a couple of times I thought I'd investigate. So, I noticed every morning that there was at least a quarter laying in her water bowl. After at least a week of trying to figure out where she was getting the money....I caught her getting up on the highest dresser where he always put his loose change. She pranced right over to her bowl and dropped it in there! At first it was kind of cute...but I made my ex stop putting his change up there just in case if she'd choke on it. Now I'm very careful about leaving any change laying around...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtnbikerchk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
Both of mine used to do this. Then they figured out that if they put their toys in the water, they didn't want to/couldn't get them out to play with. Now the toys go in the food dish. Although Trent went through a couple days recently of putting his sparkle balls into the toilet. He lost a couple that way, so he's back to the food bowl again.
Yeah, we get it in the food bowl too - but they seem to get them out themselves.

di2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Fred does this too. I'm always finding toys in the water dish. For some reason, he also prefers to play with sopping wet toys. It can be a little annoying -- especially when he decides he wants to play during the night and brings a sopping wet toy to my bed. I'm constantly rolling over onto cold, soggy cat toys in the middle of the night. Even when we play fetch, if I start out with a dry toy, he always goes and dunks it. I've decided he's just weird.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asim and Tage both due this. Then they will either come up to me meowing to get it, or just forget about it. They do the same thing when they loose a toy under the fridge.. "meow, please come help me!"