why does my kitten lick plastic

samalto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten has developed a habit of seeking plastic, licking plastic, sitting on plastic, whatever she wants to do, but she loves plastic. Is this normal? Weird? Her brother, my other kitten, doesn't seem to have the fascination with it. In fact, he had a swollen lip/chin for a while and the vet said he could be allergic to plastic.

I'm not sure if it is incredibly unhealthy or if it is a relatively normal thing. It's not like these cats aren't quirky!

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is extremely mouthy. She chews on and licks everything. She will lick computer screens and the TV, plastic cups, wooden tables and chairs, leather and blankets, pillows and carpet. She's always been like that and even at 6 months still loves to use her mouth to explore things. I would say keep dangerous edible plastics away such as plastic bags and bottles. Including plastic treat bags. But in terms of other plastics I don't thing they can do much harm if she istn excessive. I know my kit will only lick for a few moments so she can't harm herself. How long does your kitten lick the said item for? Does she try to chew it? Make sure her food bowls are stainless steel or ceramic. Even if she isn't allergic plastic is pourous and can harbor bacteria

ibbykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty is a fan of plastic, too.  He particularly likes to chew on and lick things like bags and bubble wrap.  I got him some plastic crinkle balls to chew on as a safe alternative (like these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GmeoWZiTL.jpg).  They don't rip easily like plastic bags do and they seem to satisfy his plastic cravings.      

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A warning on cats licking plastic. My male who passed loved plastic. The huge problem was licking say the seams of sealed paper towel packs. These are sealed many times with animal product based glue. It's not uncommon if they lick it they will vomit. Over time it caused really bad ibs to the point he couldn't digest food and passed. No vet could understand or the dangers. Please avoid your pet getting into plastic.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cat owners learn to provide safe plastic options for their cats. Mine get cheap tablecloths to play under and the occasional contractor bag. Unopened of course, to slide and play on. The small plastics that come from pill bottles, mouthwash or any package that are very thin need to go to the trash can. They can be choking hazards. When I make casseroles for the freezer my cats love the hard plastic binding that holds the foil pans together. It is a supervised toy. There are loads of crackle toys on the market.