Why does my kitten eat my hair?

rblaude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have shoulder length hair, blonde, which for one of those reasons seems to really attract my kitten. He likes to crawl up on my head at night and munch on my hair. He can really real it in, kinda like spaghetti!

Why does he do this and is there some way I can redirect his munchies? Anyone else with apparently tasty hair?

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why some do this, but I wouldn't let the cat do this as the hair can ball up in the stomach and cause a blockage, or, if that hair is long it can be like string and get tangled up in things.

I used to have a cat who loved hairspray LOL He would jump up and lick it all off any chance he got. LOL

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the cat is grooming you it is a sign of affection

catnipwhiskers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would take it as a sign of affection. My cat loves hair, particularly when wet. If it bothers you try to train your cat to not do it by not letting him. Hopefully he'll get that it's a "no-no".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rblaude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Believe me I do stop him, not only for the sake of his health but because it hurts me when he starts pulling on it!

Well, I'll just take it as him saying he loves me.
He tends to be a slow learner (or just obstinate) but hopefully he can learn to show his love at a time other than 3am!