Why does my cat SPRINT out of the litterbox?

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My partner and I recently adopted our first cat about a month ago, he's the sweetest boy and we love him to death. It's been really fun finding out all his little quirks as he comes out of his shell and gets more comfortable with us. One of these has me slightly concerned, though, because I'm not sure if it's indicative of a problem with his environment. Essentially, about 50% of the time he uses his litter box, he'll sprint out of it at top speed (after covering his business) and immediately attack any toys he passes along the way. It's similar to his normal hyper playtime phases, but it doesn't last as long. He doesn't seem upset or aggressive, just really hyper and playful. We call it his "poop crazies". Does this mean his litter box is stinky even though we scoop it twice a day? Is it a territorial thing? Is this just a harmless, fun little quirk?Does he just enjoy eliminating so much that he needs to run around and celebrate it?

Other info that might help; we live in a one-bedroom apartment and he's our only cat. He's neutered and we have no idea how old he is, just that he's between two and seven years old. His litter box is covered with no flap but we scoop twice a day to make sure it doesn't smell. We have it located in our bedroom so he has a lot of privacy when he uses it and it's very quiet. He's also never had any problems with not using his box.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen several kitties do this. Don't think it's a problem. I believe they just feel relieved and light as a feather. It is good exercise.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's an instinctual reaction.

In the wild, the scent of scat can attract predators. That's why cats cover their scat. They are trying to prevent the scent of their scat from attracting predators. With that in mind, it also makes sense for an animal that has just finished leaving a deposit to leave the area as quickly as possible.

That's what your cat is doing when he runs from the liter box. He's just following his instinct to make a quick exit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That makes a lot of sense! I'm glad it's something normal, now I don't feel bad laughing at his antics, haha.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
It can be a real bother too. I've got one like this also. As the cat leaps from the box he scatters litter all over. If he takes his time there is nary a crumb of litter on the floor. I have a Litter Robot Open Air which has a step that is supposed to catch any litter on the paws as he exits. His paws never touch that as he leaps from the box and the litter on his paws hit the floor. Thanks, Panthera, for letting me know that you used the box. I really did not need to be informed as the box cleans itself.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper does it, too.

We can be sitting on the sofa and, when we hear Casper scratching in the litter box, we know he's going to get the zips. :lol: