Why Does My Cat Prefer Me To Feed Her Food?!!!

mixedstripes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is now 9 months old.

When he was about 4 months old I got an automatic feeder for the morning - as I have health issues and need my sleep and don't want to get into bad habit of being woken early by him demanding breakfast!

However, I notice he will sometimes not actually eat his wet food - or only eats part of it - until I come into the kitchen later! Its as if he prefers a bit of a stroke and acknowledgement and company before tucking in! So breakfast time tends to be drawn out from 7.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. - making simple "timed" feeds difficult! I feed him myself again in late afternoon and before bed.

I also give him raw chicken strips sometimes to vary his diet and make sure he gets enough actual meat. He prefers to eat it when I dangle a little piece in front of him and then he takes it out of my fingers. If I put it on a plate he is less interested or not interested at all! One day I would like to be able to put a whole chicken wing down for him to crunch, rather than all this dilly-dallying and feeding him strips like a little prince!

Am I spoiling my kitty:lol:? Also, I am a bit surprised as I thought cats were very independent creatures but it appears mine likes a bit of company at mealtimes! Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, spoiled kitty! Some cats feel more secured when their people are close. My cat used to be the same way until he got older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mixedstripes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes perhaps he still has some kitten traits, he is confident and independent in many other ways though!