Why does my cat kick me?

mrsartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new here and signed up because I have a question of course.  =)

We saved a cat from the saw mill here where we live. She's extremely friendly and grateful to be in a home not having anymore kittens or being torn up by ticks and fleas. When we first brought her home she appeared to be a short haired cat until her fur was cleaned. Apparently she is at least part Main Coon...and killing my allergies but that's ok.

She greets me every morning and every time I walk in the door. She lays on my lap and tries to lay on my laptop...when the dog lets her. They do get along great btw. She even rubs up against him for attention and I guess to mark that he is hers too. She happily bounces around and follows me everywhere. She sits and stares at me til I'm finished doing what I'm doing then she'll get on my lap or just tap me on the arm with her front paw to let me know she's there. She loves me.  =)

She does the strangest things though....She walks up to me while I'm sitting on the couch and sticks out her hind leg and gently quickly kicks me 3 or 4 times, stretches with her tail straight up in the air (which she always carries it that way. anyway) rubs her  stuff on me then rolls on her side. I've taken to gently lifting her hind parts off the floor with my foot when she sticks her foot out to kick me and she goes with that.

Any ideas of why she might be doing this?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Playful behavior. It sounds like bunny-kicking you're describing. Does it look anything like what these two are doing?

Tail lifted high is a sign of contentment and security. She feels safe and confident around you. 

And welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! It's sort of like that. I can see how she would be in a playful mood when she's doing it too. It seems to be more like what's going on this video though. Just the cat's kicking my leg and not a door...

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha! Thanks for that video of the cat kicking the door! :lol3:

I have no idea except maybe she's trying to get your attention or get you to get up? No idea, but wanted to say Thanks for that video!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahahaha! Thanks for that video of the cat kicking the door!

I have no idea except maybe she's trying to get your attention or get you to get up? No idea, but wanted to say Thanks for that video!!
You're welcome! I have my camera ready to get some video of her doing it but it's so quick and short that I just really don't have time to act on it.
That video is hilarious! What a clever kitty.
Yes! A clever kitty indeed!

kittyfluffybutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought that was an instinctive 'scenting' ritual?? When Poppy bunny kicks, she grabs something close to her chest, biting, and uses both hind legs to 'shred' it... :)  Usually her catnip toy.