why does my cat have scabs

sweatheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your post, sweatheart.  Do you have a long haired cat?  I think you must if you shave her.  I had my vet shave her once, but they stayed away from the head.  Like I mentioned in my post below, she was cold all the time and slept on top of me at night to try to keep warm.  She doesn't look pretty when she's shaved, but it got rid of all the knots.  Right now she doesn't have knots, but she did start shedding again and is throwing up hair balls.

I ordered Advantage II out of desperation from Pet Meds, but I have not received it yet.  I found a comb like the vet uses to check for fleas (after I placed the order), and did not find any fleas.  I gave her water dish a good washing, and her chin has fewer scabs now.  I'm hoping that Pet Meds will let me send back the Advantage II.  I've never used a flea repellent on her because she is never outside.  She is 14 years old, and has never had fleas.

I tried several different web sites suggested by SPCAI for financial assistance, but haven't had any luck.  One site responded with advice to give her cranberry tablets for the blood in her urine, and said that she doesn't need any vaccinations at her age.
yes she is long hairs. Maine coon tabby mix. 3 years old. We have tried everything with her also. She's an inside cat and eats and drinks from glass bowls. My baby sleeps with me every night and has since I got her at 4 months old.before she would just sleep in-room of the blankets but now she sleeps under them with me. She has also always woke me up when I stop breathing when my bronchitis flairs up. She's a ago sent. Now she seems to be very pregnant but acting kinda like she's in heat. She shouldn't be due till the 19. She always let's me rub her belly and I mean always. She's not. A normal cat lol she's more like a dog. But anyways today I went to rub her bell and she scratched me. She's never done that's she very sweet and loveable. So right now. We are in a waiting game. If she doesn't hav babies by her due date it's a trip to the vet to find some major answers on her well rounded belly

sweatheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes she is long hairs. Maine coon tabby mix. 3 years old. We have tried everything with her also. She's an inside cat and eats and drinks from glass bowls. My baby sleeps with me every night and has since I got her at 4 months old.before she would just sleep in-room of the blankets but now she sleeps under them with me. She has also always woke me up when I stop breathing when my bronchitis flairs up. She's a ago sent. Now she seems to be very pregnant but acting kinda like she's in heat. She shouldn't be due till the 19. She always let's me rub her belly and I mean always. She's not. A normal cat lol she's more like a dog. But anyways today I went to rub her bell and she scratched me. She's never done that's she very sweet and loveable. So right now. We are in a waiting game. If she doesn't hav babies by her due date it's a trip to the vet to find some major answers on her well rounded belly

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to jump the gun a little bit, since I didn't read every single reply on the thread.

Have you considered ringworm? I am confident someone has already mentioned it, but I will mention it again anyway. I had no experience with it, until we got our two Himalayan kittens. One had a tiny bald spot on his forehead, and we thought it was from play fighting with his brother. Before we knew it, the entire household had ringworm. The Himalayan cats had the worst case, but the rest of the house had their fair share as well. One of the Himalayan had such a bad case, his body was literally covered from nose to tail, with thick crust-like scabs.

The sound of your post matches this perfectly, and while it can be annoying, it isn't dangerous or difficult to treat. Over the counter antifungal products and other kitchen products work well in treating it. You can even use apple cider vinegar as a topical for it.

If someone has already covered this, then sorry for the repeat. If you haven't already done so, please post pictures as well. Hope this helps, sincerely, the kittykeepers.