Why does my cat have Diarrhea?

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens one male one female. 8 weeks old. When I first got them I was feeding them cows milk which was giving them Diarrhea but then I found out it’s not good for them so switched to water, but they weren’t drinking that at all. So Today I’ve put them on whiskas kitten milk which they seem to enjoy. After the cows milk stopped the male kitten stopped having Diarrhea but the female continues to have it, why?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are the kittens eating solid food?

Unless you are bottle feeding them, which at 8 weeks they shouldn't be bottle fed, there isn't a reason to give kittens milk. If you are worried about them drinking water, KMR is better nutritionally for kittens that age or feeding a wet diet will take care of most of their moisture requirements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the kittens eating solid food?

Unless you are bottle feeding them, which at 8 weeks they shouldn't be bottle fed, there isn't a reason to give kittens milk. If you are worried about them drinking water, KMR is better nutritionally for kittens that age or feeding a wet diet will take care of most of their moisture requirements.
They’re both eating wet pouches. When I started giving them the water they wouldn’t drink it at all hadn’t drank anything in two days so I got worried and tried the kitten milk which they’re now drinking, don’t know why the female continues to have Diarrhea?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She could be very sensitive to even the kitten milk, I know one of mine can't have even non-dairy cream type foods or he instantly is sick. Or it could be something else.

Has she been wormed?

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She could be very sensitive to even the kitten milk, I know one of mine can't have even non-dairy cream type foods or he instantly is sick. Or it could be something else.

Has she been wormed?
Yes she’s been deflead and wormed and everything so it’s nothing like that. Maybe she’s just really sensitive to the milk?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be. My boy reacts to even the creamy versions of food which aren't even dairy. She could be reacting to any trace amount of lactose or it could be direct reaction to the dairy itself.

I would eliminate the milk. Add a spoon of water and mix it into their regular food to increase the water content of the wet food. Keep putting out fresh bowls of water (cats are sensitive to stale water, or water that has been sitting out, just as a natural inclination). Eventually, she will probably start drinking water too. At this age, they still have a very small thirst drive so they won't drink much water.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're eating wet pouches they probably don't need additional water. My cats get moisture rich food and never drink water but they have big urine clumps in their litterbox so they are getting plenty of liquids from their food. This is the normal way cats are meant to obtain liquid. If anything you can add a tablespoon or 2 of warm water to their pouch food to make it soupy.

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they're eating wet pouches they probably don't need additional water. My cats get moisture rich food and never drink water but they have big urine clumps in their litterbox so they are getting plenty of liquids from their food. This is the normal way cats are meant to obtain liquid. If anything you can add a tablespoon or 2 of warm water to their pouch food to make it soupy.
She’s still having Diarrhea with the kitten milk so I’m going to have to take this away from her too. Makes me sad because she really likes it but it’s not agreeing with her, was also worried she wouldn’t be getting enough fluids x

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be. My boy reacts to even the creamy versions of food which aren't even dairy. She could be reacting to any trace amount of lactose or it could be direct reaction to the dairy itself.

I would eliminate the milk. Add a spoon of water and mix it into their regular food to increase the water content of the wet food. Keep putting out fresh bowls of water (cats are sensitive to stale water, or water that has been sitting out, just as a natural inclination). Eventually, she will probably start drinking water too. At this age, they still have a very small thirst drive so they won't drink much water.
Still having Diarrhea with kitten milk going to have to remove this too. I was worried she wouldn’t be getting enough fluids just in the pouches

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s strange though because my other kitty isn’t having Diarrhea with kitten milk it’s only the female?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s still having Diarrhea with the kitten milk so I’m going to have to take this away from her too. Makes me sad because she really likes it but it’s not agreeing with her, was also worried she wouldn’t be getting enough fluids x
They do not need it. Your female is probably just sensitive as said before.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will they eventually just drink the water? As for two days they weren’t drinking anything
If they are getting enough water in their food (pouches have a good amount of water) then they will not drink extra water which is normal and healthy! It would be a problem if they were eating any dry. As I said you can add a little extra water to their pouch meals.

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are getting enough water in their food (pouches have a good amount of water) then they will not drink extra water which is normal and healthy! It would be a problem if they were eating any dry. As I said you can add a little extra water to their pouch meals.
I’ve added a small few drops of extra water to their already wet pouch food, and have left fresh water out too just in case. Hoping this stops her Diarrhea, sometimes when she lays on my chest I can hear her tummy making noises, Same thing that happened with the cows milk really, I think the female is lactose intolerant as the male is fine with the kitten milk

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve added a small few drops of extra water to their already wet pouch food, and have left fresh water out too just in case. Hoping this stops her Diarrhea, sometimes when she lays on my chest I can hear her tummy making noises, Same thing that happened with the cows milk really, I think the female is lactose intolerant as the male is fine with the kitten milk
It's good to leave fresh water out. Just relax about the water thing. Sounds like they get enough in their food!

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good to leave fresh water out. Just relax about the water thing. Sounds like they get enough in their food!
You don’t think it could be something else do you? The kitten milk I got says lactose reduced on the label, could it still give her Diarrhea?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don’t think it could be something else do you? The kitten milk I got says lactose reduced on the label, could it still give her Diarrhea?
Yes she can still be sensitive to the little that is in there. And it's possible it could be something else but you really won't know until you start removing the culprits. Right now the most obvious one to start with is the milk.

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she can still be sensitive to the little that is in there. And it's possible it could be something else but you really won't know until you start removing the culprits. Right now the most obvious one to start with is the milk.
How long will it take for the Diarrhea to go away? She’s had no milk since I’ve taken it away from her today

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks they are due for their first set of kitten shots. Are you going to take them in soon because you can ask the vet about a probiotic or something to help settle her stomach a bit. Milk is rarely good for cats and most are lactose intolerant. It isn't natural for them to drink milk. It can take quite a few days for her stomach to settle. But what I also am curious about is if you just dewormed her with a general dewormer or did you actually have the vet check a fecal sample for parasites? There are so many critters a kitten could have that aren't covered in a broad spectrum dewormer even. When you take them into the vet for their first shots (soon!) take a small stool sample and have them run a fecal test with giardia. Then you will know for sure there are no parasites that need to be dealt with.