Why Does My Cat Chew On Me When I Scratch His Shoulders?

Glitchangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes, not always! Frisk decides he really likes me scratching his shoulders or above his butt!

He starts to nibble on himself or me! Sometimes to the point it hurts. Sometimes he only does it when I pet him there!

Is he ticklish? Does anyone else's cat do this?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello again! Nibbling is like giving you love bites.

Unless you say that your kitty is really chomping on you in an aggressive manner, then dies not like you to touch where you are touching him.

Your kitty loves you, so he gives you love bites. My boy does that to me too! :wink:

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He might be getting overstimulated. This is pretty common in cats! Jackson Galaxy likes to say cats operate on "energy in, energy out." Petting him is giving him energy that he needs to get out so he nibbles on your hand. I've found that if I pet my cat while she's sitting on a scratcher bed she'll scratch at the bed while I pet her instead of gnawing on my hand.

If the bites start to hurt then you've put too much energy in and need to pause for him to calm down. Most cats simply can't handle the amount of pets that, say, a dog can. With my cat I've learned to judge based on the way she purrs. A rumbling purr usually means she wants to face bump and be a sweetheart, but waving her paws in the air without the purr means she's in energetic play mode and will bite down if she grabs my hand!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That spot at the base of the tail is a very sensitive spot for kitties. Some like to be scratched there, but most don't. Mingo will turn and hiss at me if I try it. If your kitty nibbles on you when you pet her, I think she's telling you to stop it.