Why Does My Cat Bow...for Lack Of A Better Term?

MrHandsomesMama

Happily wrapped around his little paws!
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I have been casually looking for an answer to this behavior for about 1 1/2-2 years now. Why does my ~12yo male cat bow? It always occurrs when my mom or I am nearby, never when he is several feet or more away. To my knowledge anyway. It started about 2 years ago, completely out of the blue from what we can tell. He just comes up to you, puts his but on or near you, and lowers his front half toward the floor. He doesn't do it like dogs will, when playful, but rather in a more serious way. And he will just stay in that pose for minutes at a time before he either walks away (because we didn't give him whatever he wants?), or gos back to standing normal again because we pet him or distract him or something. He sees the vet for regular check ups, and in between when he has allergies, or basically any time he has a hair out of place, lol. They've not only given him a clean bill of health, but also have been completely clueless about the behavior. They actually said that they have never seen or heard of cats doing anything like that, and so, could not comment. I later had a chance, on another forum, to ask an animal behaviorist about it and she too was lost for any explanation and directed me back toward my vet!

So, knowing my vet is unconcerned, I am not really worried, just curious what the behavior is all about. My expectations for ever finding the answer are pretty low, but I figure if any bunch of people can figure it out y'all can! Who knows...Maybe someone else has a bowing cat to make my Emmetta little less of a lone weirdo, haha!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's presenting his rump to be patted. Yoshi likes a harded pat, almost a spank. Sqeeker a prefers a softer pat and is easily confused/overwhelmed by the activity and will run off if I don't pick-up on his body language quick enough. Some of or cats have given "love" bites while being "spanked" so take it slow. ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. yes. Normally it is a sign of affection and trust. cats that are comfortable with each other will sometimes sniff each other in the tail and nether regions. Stranger cats dont usually do this. If your cat does the "elevator butt" they care for you, and trust you. ;)

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At least they aren't doing it right in your face :doh: my cat Stella with jump on my chest and instead of laying with our faces close she turns around and lays with her butt in my face and tail all over my forehead :doh2:

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just tell Melody, 'very nice '--in a thank you sort of way, when I am tail to nose. After that, I get a different part of the kitty to pet.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The "bow" is a greeting that is common in cats, upon entering an area. They stretch out their front paws, put their tail high, and give a nice stretch to complete the greeting. It's pretty much just them communicating "i'm here, i'm happy, i'm not a threat"

Your boy seems to have taken this to an entirely new level, lol!

My best guess is, there is some reward he has become conditioned to, mostly likely a scratch / grooming.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just tell Melody, 'very nice '--in a thank you sort of way, when I am tail to nose. After that, I get a different part of the kitty to pet.

I tell Cheese "no butts in faces" and push her hind end a little until she turns around or whatever. She seems very put off that I don't want a butt in my face.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's her way of saying: take a sniff! I know that for sure
Hehe it's just so funny because I think they do it to be cute but it's just not cute. After dinner the last thing I want in my face is a butt...no matter how cute it is :flail: