Why does my cat always hide under my bed?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Apulze and welcome to TCS!

I'm not quite sure what is going on.. it's only when she's in the bedroom that she goes under the bed?  Also you say 'so they don't mess with any of our stuff when we're not watching them'  - do you have more than one cat?

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she hiding or is it just her space? Mine like to go under the bed in the same way they like to sit on the chair under the dining table.

What do you have under the bed? I have plastic storage boxes which they use to hide behind for ambushes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Last edited:

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Last edited:

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not agree with your assessment that she is hiding.  As another poster stated, it might just be her special place.  My Sparky is 8 and most mornings I have to coax him from under my bed so he can eat and I can close the bed up.  He is certainly not fearful of me.  I think it is just a characteristic of the independence of cats.  

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am also curious why you think it is hiding rather than just enjoying being under there. My cats love napping under our bed so much we put a little cat bed under there for them. 

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well maybe I shouldn't have said hiding, but I don't understand how she would rather sleep under the bed than on top of the comfy bed. I will put her on top of the bed and she will not sleep there. The first thing she does is goes under there. It's not like she's scared of any of us, but the only way she will sleep in our rooms is under the bed. Sometimes she will come out from under the bed over night to sleep on the bed or to get attention.
Probably for the same reason my husband likes to nap on the floor rather than on a couch or bed. He just does. It sounds like she just likes sleeping under the bed. There's nothing wrong with that, and as you can see from the responses in this thread it's not unusual for a cat to like to sleep under the bed. :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always liked going underneath the bed - to sleep, to get away from loud people, when they don't feel well. Mingo actually gets inside  the box springs to sleep. He hangs in there on the scrim, like it was a hammock. I think they like it because being under the bed is like being in a cave or a nest, and it's instinctive for cats in the wild to have a nest.

I've seen some cat beds that have a cover on top making it like a cave, and I'll bet a cat would like that, just like they love to get in boxes and paper bags.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My cats have always liked going underneath the bed - to sleep, to get away from loud people, when they don't feel well. Mingo actually gets inside  the box springs to sleep. He hangs in there on the scrim, like it was a hammock. I think they like it because being under the bed is like being in a cave or a nest, and it's instinctive for cats in the wild to have a nest.

I've seen some cat beds that have a cover on top making it like a cave, and I'll bet a cat would like that, just like they love to get in boxes and paper bags.
Sinbad';s favorite place to nap is beneath the "tent" that is formed when I sit on a chair, put one foot up on an ottoman, and drape a blanket over my lap. He curls up around the ankle that is on the floor and snoozes as happy as a clam.  

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats like small dark places, as has been stated before.  They feel safe, even if there is nothing threatening them on the outside.  Its like being in a corner - nothing can get you from behind.  Do you have a cat tree?  If you do, you'll see that your cat likes it.  Some prefer the lower levels with the small boxes.  Others on top.  You wouldn't question why he likes to climb to the top, and not stay in the lower level box.  Also, while the bed may seem comfy to you, perhaps having someone's arms or legs thrashing at you in the middle of the night is not fun.  Don't humanize your cat.  That is called anthropomorphism, when you attribute human reactions and emotions to an animal.  Just because you prefer a comfy bed doesn't mean your cat wouldn't prefer a wooden plank nailed to a wall.   

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As I am writing this very moment, my boy is under my bed. He just got off my bed 2 minutes ago to get into the wardrobe and came out and gone under the bed. Now he's out and jumped onto my bed onto his favorite pillow and getting ready to sleep. He also has different places in the house to rest even when we are at home.
Guess under your bed is one of his new found place to rest? After all, your cat is already used to you and why should he hide from you?

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Last edited:

cheshirepuss577

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He/she feels safe under your bed. Cats are natural predators so under yoyr bed is like it's cave.