why does my 10mth old male cat bite me when i am stroking him and he's rubbing his head on me...and

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just last few days my cats been purring like mad and rubbing his head all over me...but after i start stroking him he bites me..he never breaks the skin (no blood)but still hurts and don't want him doing this to my 4 year old daughter either..she's a bit of a wimp!!

does he hate me or what?cos i'm getting mixed signals really!!typical male ...lol

anyone got any ideas why?i've had female kittens that bit me when i played with them...but that was clearly playful biting..and this seems different...cos he's begging for a stroke..then bites me when i give him one????bizarre or what?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The most probable HERE it is the so called love bites.  Although he perhaps do them a trifle too hard to be comfortable.   It is almost surely this.

If he really wanted to bite, he would draw blood, dont doubt it!  There is a tremendous force in the jaws if a cat bites for real.

The other possible variation, is he is sensitive for stroking at this place (stroking on tummy is most common), and the petting goes too much for him...  so the trick is to know what is enough, and stop the stroking before he bites...  You must pay close attention to his mimics and body language... For example look at his tail strokes. If they begin to be impatient, do end, even if he is still purring... The whiskers go back immediately before the bite.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered yet? If not, he is at the right age for sexual maturity, and tomcats get overstimulated very easily. Better have him neutered ASAP before he starts spraying.

tigermuma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a female cat that used to do that. I always thought she hated me lol

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered yet? If not, he is at the right age for sexual maturity, and tomcats get overstimulated very easily. Better have him neutered ASAP before he starts spraying.
Agree 100%.  Head rubbing is marking you as his - cats have scent glands along their jaw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi,yer he was neutered last week...

i don't stroke his belly at all..as i'm sure most cats hate this...but its normalt when i'm stroking his head area or shoulders...that he's rubbing against me...asking for some love..lol...then out of nowhere..bite...?

i know he use to be an outdoor cat and i can clearly tell he is not happy about being inside....

he's happy when he's getting a stroke or fed...playing with a few toys now and again..but he crys constantly at the doors and windows...then gives me them big kitten eyes..and i do feel bad..but i've only had him 3 weeks..and i think its too soon for him to go out yet..if i'd raised him from a 6 week old kitten then i would have let him out...but like i said he's 10 mths old and only been living here 3 weeks..so wasn't sure if the biting was out of fraustration maybe..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hi,yer he was neutered last week...

i don't stroke his belly at all..as i'm sure most cats hate this...but its normalt when i'm stroking his head area or shoulders...that he's rubbing against me...asking for some love..lol...then out of nowhere..bite...?

i know he use to be an outdoor cat and i can clearly tell he is not happy about being inside....

he's happy when he's getting a stroke or fed...playing with a few toys now and again..but he crys constantly at the doors and windows...then gives me them big kitten eyes..and i do feel bad..but i've only had him 3 weeks..and i think its too soon for him to go out yet..if i'd raised him from a 6 week old kitten then i would have let him out...but like i said he's 10 mths old and only been living here 3 weeks..so wasn't sure if the biting was out of fraustration maybe..
He was used to the outdoors, so that is part of his willing to go out. But now it sounds as some of this behavior was a male tom behavior as they grows up. My collegues found a third variation, and I suspect now too that was it.

SOME of the bites IS a variation of love bites, Im sure of it. But some also the tom´s overstimulation.

You do very correctly not letting him out as yet. BOTH as he is a new be in your place, and also, not letting a tom get out.  Toms do tend to disappear...

Of course, if you decide to foster him into a pure indoor cat, we wont protest too much.   :)

His hormone niveus will down quite soon now, as he probably wasnt no dominant, territorial tom.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think the biting is from frustration at not getting out (he's pretty young - was he outdoor before?).  I believe as others have said, he loves you, and he is just over-stimulated.  Our cat is like that and every cat has a different level of physical touch they like.  Some can take touch for hours and all over (I suppose like those of us who are not ticklish).  Some love your touches, but only for a few minutes/seconds and in only some places.  Get to know his body language and observe how long he likes his loves - this will translate into something more concrete as guidance for your daughter who won't be as observant (eg:  only 3 strokes, very gentle with one finger, on his head - this is what our cat likes!  i have to restrain myself!  Then because I want to 'love' him more, I do cat kisses - slowly blinking at him - and talk lovey.  This is also something safe and lovely to do that you can teach your daughter).

If he was an outdoor cat, and as he is young in any case, and because he is able to handle only so much touch, I think one of the big things to do is expend his energy.  Vigorous play! For us, its not about toys, Kato is just too smart and too people orientated (there are lots of ways to be highly affectionate - not just touch and cuddles), so it has to be people involved; either on the other side of  a wand toy, throwing something for 'fetch', flicking an elastic band for his high jumping games of mid-air catch, or hide and seek chasey.  I am not kidding you - he has helped or taught us all of these games!  And if we don't play them properly, with full attention (like when we watch tv and lazily flick the wand), we get told off!

You may find also that your cat's capacity of touch changes as he gets past his op and the hormones settle down.  He was fairly late for neutering.  I think also that as a cat ages, touch capacity can also change for a variety of reasons; more as they mellow; less as they get achy with age or sickness.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a while for hormone levels to go down after a neuter, so some of it may improve later on. One thing I've found that works is to make a loud high-pitched yelp like he hurt you, then stand up and don't pet him anymore. He should get the idea you don't like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys..i think he will end up an out/indoor cat at some stage though.as i've always let me cats out...and had a cat flap fitted when the time comes.

i have tryed playing games..like hide and seek..someone mentioned..and he does play it.

toys are only fun for a few minutes then he's bored and back to winging at the windows...he's also sleeping alot during the day..but this could be cos he's up so late and get up in the morning around 6am...i have not slept properly for weeks now..lol..i've started letting him sleep on my bed at night and during the day too...i didn't at first due to his constant spraying...tryed to keep the spraying to one room til he was neutered,and so far he has not sprayed since..so don't mind hom having the run of the house now.

his last owner said she did let him out,but he only stayed in the yard...so that what i ment about he use to go out..but i'm guessing he was much younger then and couldn't jump the walls.

i've had him about 3 weeks now..and he is still wanting out...even got a cat harness..but once it was on he was walking backwards then just sat down and refused to move,so i took him outside thinking this would get him moving..but he sniffed aroung on same spot..then did a funny walk back indoors...lol..really didn't like the harness at all..but i don't think many cats do.

i'll just have to put up with it for now...cos he's a fab cat..my daughter drives me mad..but keeping her...lol

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my boy is the same, he looks at you for attention and then when you go and stroke him he starts the nipping, i say to him ah ah! and put him down again or turn the chair the other way and say no attention! but it never seems to make much difference LOL he gets way overstimulated or excited, i can only stroke him for a certain time before i have to stop, i guess that is the way boy cats are.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Stella 123,

Good idea for the outdoor-crave fixes there - both the enclosed yard and the harness.  

Don't be discouraged!  It takes some time for a cat to walk confidently on a harness.  Little and often is the mantra.  Just getting the harness on him like you did is an enormous step and sounds like he will readily take to it.  Put the harness on him every day, inside, leaving it on for slightly increased amounts of time; 30secs to start, then 1 min, then 2 mins, then 3mins etc...  You will soon see him adapt and just mozey around like he does without noticing the harness.  When he's comfortable wearing it inside, then its time to open a door to the outside.  Again, don't push it.  Allow him to dictate where he wants to go, and how long.  At first, he is likely to just hover close to the door.  We walk our cat every single day, and that's how we did it.  I probably did training every couple of days - now he HAS to have his walk daily! Here he is on you-tube enjoying being outside:  
The enclosed yard is a super idea!  We have finally succeeded in building alcatraz so he can't get out.  It's all temporary too, as we rent.  We used chicken wire (he chewed a hole in the bird netting we used in year 1), and some long metal stakes, and some guiding wire, nails for the outside wooden fences, and zip-ties.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with Thunder 8 months old. I guess they just don't want to be petted at that time. I have to catch Thunder when she is sleeping to pet her.

dejolane