why does he love/hate me?

whit8908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my cat is just a little over a year old, he is neutered but i swear sometimes i really think he hates me... i do live with my boyfriend, but anyways sometiems he will just out of no where get totally mad at me and attack me! im not talkin playin either, he will run up and bite me hard, put his ears back, come up and go after me! i wont even be instigating it! it has gotten to bad that people have had to get him away from me becsuse he will go at me so quick and mean i cant do anythin but try and protect myself! but at the same time, i am the only person who he will lay with and really love on, curls up on my lap on the couch or in bed, but he doesnt just do that all the time... now by b/f he wont lay with, or attack meanly like he does me! i dont get it! and he isnt just mean to me when people are around, he does it whenever he feels like it i guess, just earlier i was sittin on the floor and all of a sudden i was being bit and clawed! and i usually have to put him in the bedroom when people come over because he will bite them, not always but 75% of the time, ecspecially if its another girl that comes over! why does he do this and what can i do to change that? and i feel bad bc i know if somethin ever happened i would prolly have to put him down if i had to get rid of him, noone would want this satans spawn!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At what age did you get him?
Is he an only kitty?

Honestly, it sounds like when he's "attacking" you he may be trying to get you to play. Some cats play *very* rough, biting, scratching, ears flat back, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whit8908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i got him when he was about 6 weeks old, but i had been around him fromthe day he was born... he was born april 8, 2009 so he is a little over a year... he is an only kitty.... i guess really though hes been a littel asshole his whole life, when he was old enough to walk and had his eyes opne he was attackin he littermates, as if to kiil them, at 9 weeks i brought his sister here for the night an he litterally tried to kiil her, goin for her throat, hissing and growlin at her... but i can tell a difference between his "play" and "i want you dead"... because we play quite often and its nothin like that, he will even get so mad at he he growls, though thats not too often he growls.... my friend once it was so bad tried to help me when he was on my arm and i couldnt shake him off, he started hissin at him..... i just really dont get it, he isnt always bad, but at least once a day he gets mad at me n goes at me! i must sound liek a weenie, but that cat has a temper n some mean claws that i dont liek to mess with!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you got him at 6 weeks, he was taken too early from his mother. They learn what's right & wrong in terms of behavior from 9-12 weeks, so he missed out on all of that - he had no kitty to tell him the aggressive biting, etc isn't OK, so he thinks it is.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's going to take alot of patience on your part to redirect his energy. I'm wondering if he's taking your 'play' time to the next level when he's starting to 'attack' you. He doesn't hate you....he's simply being 'the boss' of you.

When you and he play...is he playing with toys such as paper balls and toys on a stick? Or, is he playing with your body parts..hands, feet, legs? Somehow he's learned to attack those as if he's the hunter.

It's hard not to get mad at him, esp if you're in pain, but when he starts to attack, be very firm, grab him by the scruff, force his mouth open by lifting his upper jaw, and removing him from your body....then get toys out and make him bite those. Or gently stuff a stuffed animal against his teeth when he feels like biting....let him bite that....then praise him and pet him when he's 'attacking' the stuffed animal.
Keep his nails trimmed too.....blunter nails don't hurt so much.

Just remember, he's a cat with a much smaller brain than your's, and he's learned that it seems to be okay to attack you. It's up to you to reteach him.....he thinks you're a big cat and doing what cats like to do.
Be patient, most of all!