Why Does Frontline and Advantage Not Work For Fleas Now?

mom - cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Revolution is the way to go - if you can afford it.  We have 6 cats (all rescued) and in giving them better nutritional food (we found out the hard way what 9 Lives diet does to a cat) keeping them on Revolution is out of the question.

So let me run this one by and everyone feel free to pass on some positive advise.

Get 1 dose each of Revolution to start then keep up with Advantage II.  Is this doable?

I think I read in 1 of the posts here that a Revolution prescription isn't required in Canada.  Does anyone know how to get Revolution from a Canadian vet?  Or - where is there a cheaper place to buy either Advantage II or Revolution.

poeticfelony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that Revolution works a lot better than Frontline and Advantage. I've used all 3 and Revolution is the best at preventing fleas. Also when my cat had a bad infestation I got a capstar pill to get all the living fleas off of him then treated him with Revolution. No problems since!

catkisses4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Used Diatomateous in one bedroom. Cats do not go in there. Seems to have worked. To check if there are still fleas, I left a bowl of sudsy water under a night light. That was my favorite, got to see dead fleas. Tomorrow will go to vet. for Revolution. also, I bought capguard at Pet Store. It was $7.99 per pill. Where can I get them on line at that price?

Feeling better about this. I hate fleas.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Canadapetcare.com to get my Capstar. They have a 6 pack of Capstar for cats for $23. They also sell Revolution without a Vet's prescription. They ship to the US and have good customer service.

Jim

mainecoon2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet suggested Advocate which is stronger than Advantage. You have to buy it from a veterinarian or a chemist and there are various Strengths depending on the weight of the cat. I find this really works. I have also treated my carpets with a spray.

I was told that Frontline and Advantage have been used for so long that fleas have become immune.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet no longer recommends topical medicine for fleas since all of the ones that he used to recommend don't seem to work in our area anymore. We used Comfortis this summer, which is a chewable medication that is taken as a pill. Usually we don't treat for fleas since we don't seem to get them around our house for some reason.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

My vet no longer recommends topical medicine for fleas since all of the ones that he used to recommend don't seem to work in our area anymore. We used Comfortis this summer, which is a chewable medication that is taken as a pill. Usually we don't treat for fleas since we don't seem to get them around our house for some reason.
When I lived in Tacoma, WA I also noticed that there was not a flea problem. Maybe the fleas don't like the cold besides the dryness.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was petting my cat on my lap and noticed a little flea on my tshirt.  I wasn't sure but then it started hopping...freakin flea right?!  Ugh ><  Need some advice on how to handle this.  I have two cats so they should both be treated.  Thinking of doing a revolution and diatomaceous for the carpet/sofa areas.  How long should I do the revolution treatment?  My cats are strictly indoor only so I don't want them to be on this chemical stuff forever.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was petting my cat on my lap and noticed a little flea on my tshirt.  I wasn't sure but then it started hopping...freakin flea right?!  Ugh ><  Need some advice on how to handle this.  I have two cats so they should both be treated.  Thinking of doing a revolution and diatomaceous for the carpet/sofa areas.  How long should I do the revolution treatment?  My cats are strictly indoor only so I don't want them to be on this chemical stuff forever.
One dose on each of them should take care of the problem. You probably brought the flea in on your pants leg. Unless you live in a climate where the fleas are really thick at this time of year you probably won't need another dose until it is flea season again which is in the summer.

katznbunz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I just administered Advantage last night to my cats and they are still scratching today is it safe to give them another flea medication? My vet. recommends Cheristan or Activyl - neither of which I know anything about.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I just administered Advantage last night to my cats and they are still scratching today is it safe to give them another flea medication? My vet. recommends Cheristan or Activyl - neither of which I know anything about.
I would not give them anything else at his time. Give Advantage at least 24 hours but from what I have read it does not really work anymore.  I have not heard of those other two medications but you should talk to your vet about Revolution which is doing an excellent job. 

shannonmari1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to post that a good website for pet needs, including meds, is petshed.com. They are less expensive than 1-800 petmeds and you don't have to go through the rigamarole of mailing a prescription. I've scanned mine and sent them along with my online order and they are fine with that.

http://www.petshed.com/

ShannonMari :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow revolution is soooo pricey and requires an office visit for a prescription..so i opted for cheristen. Pricier than advantage and frontline but not as bad as revolution and doesnt require a prescription.

I just wanted to post that a good website for pet needs, including meds, is petshed.com. They are less expensive than 1-800 petmeds and you don't have to go through the rigamarole of mailing a prescription. I've scanned mine and sent them along with my online order and they are fine with that.

http://www.petshed.com/

ShannonMari :)
Ill use this website next time!

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow revolution is soooo pricey and requires an office visit for a prescription..so i opted for cheristen. Pricier than advantage and frontline but not as bad as revolution and doesnt require a prescription.
Ill use this website next time!
I have never heard of "Cheristen" so I have no opinion on that.

I have a standing prescription from my vet with 800-PetMeds, they just call or e-mail every time I send in  for a refill which I do twice a year for Revolution, no extra vet visit required.

I also just checked the 800-PetMeds site and Cheristen costs the same as  Revolution ($89.99 vs $89.98 for a 6-pack) So I don't know where you get your info. Revolution also kills heart worm and ticks & prevents the development of eggs and larvae which Cheristen does not kill, it only kills the fleas themselves. So I think Revolution is a better deal. If you can get it cheaper somewhere else, go for it, we all like to save money.

I do see that Revolution is less expensive at PetShed.com ($63.95 from the UK and $70.95 from Australia for a 6-pack) but I don't see Cheristen there at all. Do your own research.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue I have with Revolution is that its fairly new to the market and that with this type of product is that unlike other flea topicals, this one must enter the bloodstream, not only the skin. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me but I am worrying about what the long term effects of such a product, used monthly or even bimonthly, would cause. Within 5, yrs, 10 yrs etc. It really makes you think.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of "Cheristen" so I have no opinion on that.
I have a standing prescription from my vet with 800-PetMeds, they just call or e-mail every time I send in  for a refill which I do twice a year for Revolution, no extra vet visit required.

I also just checked the 800-PetMeds site and Cheristen costs the same as  Revolution ($89.99 vs $89.98 for a 6-pack) So I don't know where you get your info. Revolution also kills heart worm and ticks & prevents the development of eggs and larvae which Cheristen does not kill, it only kills the fleas themselves. So I think Revolution is a better deal. If you can get it cheaper somewhere else, go for it, we all like to save money.

I do see that Revolution is less expensive at PetShed.com ($63.95 from the UK and $70.95 from Australia for a 6-pack) but I don't see Cheristen there at all. Do your own research.
I did do a quick google search and none of those websites turned up. Ill keep these in mind for next time.

The issue I have with Revolution is that its fairly new to the market and that with this type of product is that unlike other flea topicals, this one must enter the bloodstream, not only the skin. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me but I am worrying about what the long term effects of such a product, used monthly or even bimonthly, would cause. Within 5, yrs, 10 yrs etc. It really makes you think.
I really feel like long term use of anti flea meds is harmful for cats. My cats are indoor only so technically they shouldnt be catching any. I think they caught it this time because one hitched a ride on my pant leg or they always had it from the shelter. I only got them months ago. So i decided to use these meds on an as needed basis only.

rmnative

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a really good website, dirtdoctor.com, that is all about organic growing & pest control.
Revolution is the only topical flea control he ok's. I saw that you all were using flea stuff I've never heard of.
Check it out & calm your minds.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too don't think it can be good for cats (or dogs) to constantly being exposed to flea killers. I usually don't have to do that but maybe two months in the summer when I am likely to bring them in on my pants legs as I live on the second floor.  A cat that is outside will bring them in whenever fleas are active so it may be a good idea to make one's cats indoor only no matter how much they scream. You would not let a 2 year old child have her way just because she is throwing temper tantrums, would you? All cats can be trained to stay inside unless you are taking in an adult feral cat and even some of them will eventually put up with it. 

Last edited: