Why Does Cat Prefer Garage?

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats. They are all very spoiled. They get to sleep in my bed, on the couch, wherever they want. They have nice food, a nice water fountain and plenty of litter boxes. They have a nice place to live. They also have a huge catio - I have a screened in patio, with patio furniture out there, with nice cushions for them to lounge on. For some weird reason - rather than wanting to stay in the comfortable home, they prefer to go into the dirty, empty garage. Every time I come home, they rush toward the garage door and meow until I let them out - then, they rush out into the garage and just hang out there. I peek out to see what they are doing - they are just laying there - on the dirty floor of the garage - just lounging, doing nothing in particular. I have no earthly idea what is so appealing about the garage. It's empty, there's nothing out there. It's dirty - I thought cats liked being clean. They keep rolling around in the dirt on the floor. What? Why??? I have 4 cat trees, plenty of cat beds. I even keep empty cardboard boxes around (because we all know how cats love boxes) - all in the house for them to play with. Toys all around the house. Even with all this - they prefer the empty, dirty garage. :confused2: I don't understand this crazy behavior, can anyone explain?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love the garage too. I don't like letting them out there, but they beg. I think it makes them feel closer to the outside or something, I don't know. Maybe there is a mouse hiding in there.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't always care about being clean. I have a Dirt Cat. She asks to go outside just go she can go two feet out the door and start rolling around on the concrete and get as much dirt as she can. Rolling and rolling and wiggling.
When we were in the last house and had a garage, the boys were breaking into the garage all the time just to explore. Which I thought was stupid because it had to have been at least 20 degrees hotter in the garage and we were living in Phoenix. One night I think I could have lost my cat, and I have no idea what he was doing or how long he was gone. Tommy walks by the living room doorway, filthy. I go see that not only is the door to the garage open (jerk) but that I could plainly see my car in the driveway. THE GARAGE DOOR WAS UP.
Yeah he just went out and got filthy doing whoknowswhat and came back home.