Why do you choose to have cats in your life?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nobody else would want them.
The blind 7 year old with food allergies & several other chronic issues
The mentally retarted cat
The deaf one
The deaf aggressive semi feral
The one with bad back legs who *might* need surgery someday
The cat you cannot pet

Doesn't mean that they don't deserve a home. So, I might as well love them!

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know it was a choice...?

Seriously, I've had cats my entire life (30+ years) and I just really can't imagine NOT having at least one.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex-girlfriend's cat is what really drew me in. I fell in love with her almost instantly. Ever since then, the more I've learned about cats, the more I've grown to love them. Two of my three I got when they were kittens and it's an impossibility not to fall in love with new born kittens so that's another reason why.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Because THEY keep finding ME!!!
(All of our crew of 9 are strays.)

I love all animals, but I just like cats best--don't know why. Perhaps it's their snooty, "Up yours!" cattitude, their independent natures, or their physical beauty. I defy anyone who says cats "Aren't affectionate". I've have dozens in my lifetime, and each and every one has been a love-bug. They do fit better into my lifestyle than a dog. They're cleaner, too, and I think their fur smells nicer (usually!).

Besides, they're the best free footwarmers out there!

MargeCat

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother showed up with our first family cat when I was about 4 years old. There weren't many times in my life that I didn't live with them - a few years a as a teenager after my sister became allergic to them. I got my own apartment at age 18 and adopted a cat within a week of moving in. When he crossed, I adopted another within 2 weeks. I've not been cat free since that time.

These days I can say that I don't choose them, they have all chosen me. One by one they wandered into my life and I wasn't about to say no to them.

Animals bring a sense of humanity and humility to you that other people can't bring to your life. They make me a better person and I thank them all for it.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always loved cats, and they seem to love me. As a kid I would be walking down the road to school with my mum and want to stop to 'pet' every cat and never got scratched or hissed at etc by them, but my mum and sister are allergic to cats and so it was never an option (in my parent's minds at least) to have a cat.

When I met my BF he already had three of them (Scully came later), and I instantly fell in love with them (even before him
).

Scully I adopted because they were finding it really hard to home a cat with special needs, I had wanted a kitten but he kinda just happened. So I don't think I ever 'chose' to have them in my life... we could have said no to Scully but I couldn't see him go to a shelter the way he was and risk being PTS.

We want another when we move somewhere bigger, hopefully we will get my kitten this time, but again I can see myself coming home with the kitty that nobody else wanted that I had to rescue (I think I like a challenge)

But in general, I love how they know you inside and out and can sense when you are feeling down... the feel of their purr on you as they sleep beside you, the way they seem to listen when you talk to them, they are like having a furry cuddly diary!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always loved animals. Grew up with them, my mother couldnt' get over how all the neighbourhood cats always congregated at our house whenever I was outside playing - she said I was always surrounded by cats!

I always had pets for my kids - we've had cats, dogs, hamsters, chinchillas, rats, and then the usual collection of frogs, turtles and snakes coming to either visit or stay over the winter. I do particularly love cats - there's something very special about them and can't imagine not having at least one!