Why Do My Kittens Like to Play in the Litter Box?

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two 12-week-old kittens - a brother/sister pair - like to play in the litter box. At first, I thought one was accosting the other in the litter box, but I realize they both like to sit in there and bat at each other, and jump in and out as they're running around the room. I assumed they would keep their litter box for just litter-box-y conduct as part of their fastidious natures, but apparently not?

Backstory: Their foster mother had them in a hooded litter box; I've currently got the hood off of the litter box, since the hood of this particular litter box can double as a second litter box, and I'm debating about when to introduce a second kind of litter and see what they like. I'm beginning to wonder if the kittens like to jump in and out because now there're able to - but maybe they actually are accosting each other in the litter box and it's good to have more exit options?

Thoughts?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i see my 'adult' cats playing in one of the four boxed sometimes. I have found furry mice, pieces of paper and once a shoe in them. Remember, out in the wild there is no specific place to poo and the sand, litter or paper you put in the box attracts them as it is a different texture than the floor, couch or beds.  At least that is the conclusion I have come to. Unless they are just wacko.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens will play ANYWHERE.  If they get along fine all other times then it is just play.  At 12 weeks I would not think it is anything more.  Were these bottle babies or raised last few weeks with no Momcat?  My hand raised cats or ones taken to early were the ones that played/slept in the box vs the ones with a Momcat who learned early on to use it for mostly business. 

joseph watson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats always likes to play with a box. I think they likes to get fitted in a boxes of small size.  If you got two cats the rule says you must place three liter boxes at different locations. Do not worry as they are small so they did not understand a much about these things but you can teach them by using some simple tricks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Kittens will play ANYWHERE.  If they get along fine all other times then it is just play.  At 12 weeks I would not think it is anything more.  Were these bottle babies or raised last few weeks with no Momcat?  My hand raised cats or ones taken to early were the ones that played/slept in the box vs the ones with a Momcat who learned early on to use it for mostly business. 
Brother-sister pair raised as two of six with Momcat until twelve weeks old in a foster home! The foster mom was also very present and socialized them really well to human touch :) They already sleep in a pile together and groom each other (though it's more girl-kitten that likes to groom boy-kitten, and boy-kitten being like URGH BATH FINE. Makes me think of The Lion King.)