Why Do My Cats Love To Lay On My Table And Counter Tops?

sabyankat510

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are in love with laying all over my kitchen table and my counter tops. In the morning we get up and there is always tons of cat hair all over the table and counters from them laying on them over night. We have put tin foil on them before for two weeks and that kept them off until we removed it and then they were back up there. We have thought about trying to use a squirt bottle but they always get down when they hear us coming so they are off the table and counters before we get to them. It grosses me out so much because they will track cat litter up on to the counters and tables.They have cat towers and access to the couches and all of the beds.........what can I do to keep them off the counter and table for good?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mention that they have cat trees and other places around the house to lay on. But do you have any other HIGH places in the kitchen other than the counters/table to lay on? If they like to hang out in the kitchen, because of a certain window, how the sun shines in, or something, providing something in the kitchen for them might work.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Since stores are just starting to stock Halloween merchandise, I would shop for some motion activated item that howls, laughs or dances when something comes near. Might be enough to scare them off and you have a head start in your fall decorating.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have a solution to the cats jumping on the counters, but you mentioned being grossed out by cat litter being tracked around. I fixed my tracking problem entirely a few years ago by rigging this contraption up in my laundry room:

The litter box entrance is facing the wall, so the cats have to take a long walk around the baby gate and the rug to get to the entrance. All of the cat litter on their paws gets kicked off on the rug as they're walking around.

It's funny, I had to move the gate to block off a doorway recently for my new kitten and in that week everyone in the house was complaining about 'little grey rocks' being tracked into the house. Not one of us could figure out what they were. And then it hit me. We'd all FORGOTTEN what it felt like to be stepping on cat litter. It works that well.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides being high up, sometimes they lay on counters because the tile is cool. Consistently saying down and clapping your hands should get them to learn evetually to only go up there when you are asleep. Not feeding them in the kitchen or while you are preparing food will make the kitchen less apealing.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats know that you do things like prepare their food on the counter and they just want to be where the action is. They want to see what you're doing.

(This is also why they like to lay on your keyboard while you are using your computer.)

One solution to this problem is to give them a place of their own where they can be high-up to see the action but still be out of the way.

Get them a stool or something where they can sit and supervise the goings-on and they'll be less likely to want to get onto the kitchen counters.

When they do get up on the counters where you don't want them, don't punish them like you would a dog. Use a firm but gentle pat on the bum to nudge them down and tell them "No" in the same voice you would use if you caught your child trying to stick his hand into the cookie jar. ("Kit-tyyy...Nooo...") Then give them something else that's "better" to do such as toss a toy for them to chase.

You have to be consistent with this training. There can't be SOME times when it's allowed and other times when it's not. It's all or nothing. You have to keep on it!

Think of a cat like a three year old kid. You have to teach them both the same way.

1) Give them a place of their own to sit.
2) Verbally scold but don't yell.
3) Redirect them from the place you don't want them to be.
4) Give them something more fun to do.
5) Be consistent.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is true at my last place I gave my cats the breakfast bar & at my current place they can get on/are rewarded for being on the bar stools/halfway wall/the butlers pantry ... anywhere but the counters ;)