Why do my cats leak anal fluid...?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 1 yr old kitty leaks a small amount of anal fluid from time to time. A couple of times this has happened on my quilt! >.< It is very stinky and gross... I suspect the furthest back this has occurred is January. I am trying to figure out why this occurs.

My other cat had this happen a couple times when I first got him. I had his anal glands expressed and they told me his left one seemed a bit full at that time. I suspected it was due to food change and potentially the high amount of fat in the kitten food he was on.

Sometimes I am not always aware of who the culprit is, but the last couple of times it has definitely been the same kitty. I find it interesting that it has happened in BOTH my cats, not just one!

I highly doubt there is any infection or impaction going on; he is using the litter box regularly and I even saw him poop earlier this week and it seemed well formed.. Although it did not come out pellet like, it was all one...uh.... structure? lol!

Is it a food allergy?? Too oily of food?? Worms??

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first assumption would be its a digestive issue related to food. What are you feeding? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They get Science Diet Adult (1-6 yrs) chicken flavored dry food and Blue Buffalo Wilderness salmon flavored dry food. As well as Fancy Feast canned wet food and whatever higher end canned wet food is on sale. Right now they are on Merrick. (This happened before they were on Merrick though.)

This happened while they were on kitten food as well, which was the Blue Buffalo dry kitten food & Science Diet dry kitten food.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They get Science Diet Adult (1-6 yrs) chicken flavored dry food and Blue Buffalo Wilderness salmon flavored dry food. As well as Fancy Feast canned wet food and whatever higher end canned wet food is on sale. Right now they are on Merrick. (This happened before they were on Merrick though.)

This happened while they were on kitten food as well, which was the Blue Buffalo dry kitten food & Science Diet dry kitten food.
I don't really know, to be honest. It might be the kibble and it might be from changing wet foods. It's probably food related, though. If you're feeding any foods with gravy try just going with pate and see if that helps. I'd suggest giving them probiotics too. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just have anal glands that get a bit too full and leak
My Aby occasionally  has this happen. I just empty his anal glands when he gets a bit too smelly back there. Ask the vet to show you how to do this at home.