Why do men never listen?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey snap some photos so i can see what the total effect is. It could be a blessing in disguise.

One of my clients had a storage shed erected on a corner of their back yard and I advised her of some potential things to do. For instance have compost bins behind building so they are out of site. Have a potting bech on one side of building so you have an area to work. Perhaps a pergola could be added to one side so you could do some plantings and have a seating area.
Perhaps one side cold frames could be built so you can have seedlings or an area to stash garden plant purchases?? Containers in the front??

You can do this before junk appears around the building!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

True, but he could be more considerate. It basically has pretty much ruined the yard. He's good at complaining, but not doing the work. He doesn't do much to begin with.
We'll just have to disagree then, I'd say him paying the bills since it's his house means he does a lot.
It's probably not about him being stubborn and disregarding your opinion, it's just that it's his house and he really doesn't have to listen to anyone about what to do with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Hey snap some photos so i can see what the total effect is. It could be a blessing in disguise.

One of my clients had a storage shed erected on a corner of their back yard and I advised her of some potential things to do. For instance have compost bins behind building so they are out of site. Have a potting bech on one side of building so you have an area to work. Perhaps a pergola could be added to one side so you could do some plantings and have a seating area.
Perhaps one side cold frames could be built so you can have seedlings or an area to stash garden plant purchases?? Containers in the front??

You can do this before junk appears around the building!!
I will when I get a chance. The problem is one side gets no sun whatsoever and I know it will affect the plants that are now blocked by that monster. I'll try to take one tonight. I wish I had a before and after picture.
He doesn't care if I plant around it or cover it. I'll take any ideas you can give me. It looks stupid because it has to be 5ft from the fence so it looks like it is in the middle of no where. Then, if I do plant around it, it is so close to the pond flower bed and house flower bed I'm afraid I won't be able to get around it.

I need some ideas!

Originally Posted by neetanddave

We'll just have to disagree then, I'd say him paying the bills since it's his house means he does a lot.
It's probably not about him being stubborn and disregarding your opinion, it's just that it's his house and he really doesn't have to listen to anyone about what to do with it.
I can see your point, but this is why I disagree.

He may pay the bills, but I pay my own. He also does not clean the house, cook, take care of the yard or take care of the cats. Even his own. I also balance the checkbook because he never could. Which is also suppose to be his responsibility.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand how unattractive those buildings can be... and I surely understand your concern about your flowers... but let me say three things:

1. This is Texas! It's going to be so bright and so hot all summer... the shaded area this shed creates can be a wonderful haven for "shady place" flowers! You can plant things there that would never survive out in the sun. Maybe you could even get ferns to grow there! (I just love ferns.
)

2. I'm speculating here, but... for men, the yard is their traditional province, y'know? And a man under stress will often feel compelled to DO something to the yard -- the same way a woman under stress will buy new pillows for the sofa or color her hair. Suddenly taking an interest in the yard and being determined to do something out there... this might be your father's way of distracting himself from your mother's absence, y'know? That doesn't make it any less disruptive to your gardening plans, but it might be easier for you to accept it and be patient if that's the case.

3. What would be really, really great is if you and your dad could make a plan and work together on the yard... maybe even install a pretty bench with an arbor or something, a sundial, a birdbath... a little memorial to your mom. I have a feeling you would both be so much happier if you could cooperate on a project like that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I understand how unattractive those buildings can be... and I surely understand your concern about your flowers... but let me say three things:

1. This is Texas! It's going to be so bright and so hot all summer... the shaded area this shed creates can be a wonderful haven for "shady place" flowers! You can plant things there that would never survive out in the sun. Maybe you could even get ferns to grow there! (I just love ferns.
)

2. I'm speculating here, but... for men, the yard is their traditional province, y'know? And a man under stress will often feel compelled to DO something to the yard -- the same way a woman under stress will buy new pillows for the sofa or color her hair. Suddenly taking an interest in the yard and being determined to do something out there... this might be your father's way of distracting himself from your mother's absence, y'know? That doesn't make it any less disruptive to your gardening plans, but it might be easier for you to accept it and be patient if that's the case.

3. What would be really, really great is if you and your dad could make a plan and work together on the yard... maybe even install a pretty bench with an arbor or something, a sundial, a birdbath... a little memorial to your mom. I have a feeling you would both be so much happier if you could cooperate on a project like that...
I don't mind working with him, but at least appreciate what I have done! He always wants big! He doesn't even measure and that's what upsets me. He doesn't plan anything out. We can't do much until I finish the pond. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time out there fixing it.