Why do I keep gaining weight??

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been going to the gym for over a year, and I go every other day. I haven't missed a gym day since last Christmas.

I continue to gain weight and I am so frustrated. I don't understand, why am I even going to the gym so religiously if I'm just gaining weight? Last year during my annual physical, I weighed 118lbs. Now less than a year later, I'm up to 125lbs.
AND my pants get tighter and tighter.

Seriously, I am so upset about this..

Do you guys know what the heck could be going on? Could it be muscle I'm gaining and not more fat?

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could definitely be muscle. I would stop basing your fitness level on weight as that usually leaves (at least in my case) me obsessing about the numbers on the scale. I would get a measuring tape and start taking your chest, stomach, hip, thighs and arm measurements (oh yea..and bum) every few weeks and judge from that. You might also want to try varying your gym routinue (i.e. take a few classes, change the weight training etc). It turns out by sticking to the same routine all the time your muscle develops memory, and it no longer needs to burn as much energy or trigger your metabolism as much to get the same work done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

It could definitely be muscle. I would stop basing your fitness level on weight as that usually leaves (at least in my case) me obsessing about the numbers on the scale. I would get a measuring tape and start taking your chest, stomach, hip, thighs and arm measurements (oh yea..and bum) every few weeks and judge from that. You might also want to try varying your gym routinue (i.e. take a few classes, change the weight training etc). It turns out by sticking to the same routine all the time your muscle develops memory, and it no longer needs to burn as much energy or trigger your metabolism as much to get the same work done.
Thanks for the reply. I do actually do a different routine every time I go. The only thing I've noticed so far is my arms are more defined.
Maybe I will start measuring so at least I know I'm making some progress.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard women stop growing in their 20's, so maybe you're still filling out? *sigh* I wish I weighed 125 lbs!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

All I know is that the minute I THINK the word diet, I gain
me too

Measuring will help because muscle weighs more than fat, I also read somewhere that going to the gym in the morning helps ' a little ' more as it increases your metabolism throughout the day when you are still doing stuff to keep it up rather than in the evenings when you are more likely to veg out

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't diet at all. I firmly beleive that if you try and eat healthy all the time as more of a way of life instead of random dietting, then that is better for you. Who knows though, I'm gaining weight so I am noone to be giving eating advice.

Hmm, I am also kind of afraid of measuring myself because what if there is no improvement? Eeeeeeeek, I would be mortified after all these months of sweating at the gym.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Thanks for the reply. I do actually do a different routine every time I go. The only thing I've noticed so far is my arms are more defined.
Maybe I will start measuring so at least I know I'm making some progress.
When I was lifting I would stick with a specific workout for 6 weeks, then change it. I had 4 routines, and I rotated them so that no one muscle group would be overworked.

If you are doing serious ab work, you may want to carefully review the exercises you are doing, as many of them are designed to BUILD as opposed to tone, and this could be a reason for the increase in your waistline.

I found that male trainors have a tendancy to give women the wrong types of exercise routines, as the men only ever want to build while the women simply want to tighten and tone certain areas.

When I was lifting, I had one trainor set me up with an ab routine that felt great, but ultimately was wrong for me as I started to build a 6-pack stomack. It looked nice, but increased my waistline as I was building rather than toning.

Also, when I was lifting, I threw out my scale, as I dropped 5 clothing sizes but gained 20 pounds of muscle, so the scale did nothing but depress me! The more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn, and after a certain point, weighing yourself makes no sense if you are continuing with your workouts.

Also, you may want to be careful about working out the outer thigh muscles too much - if you build them, you wind up looking funny when they stick out further than your hips! (Another one of my mistakes in listening to a male trainor!!!)

And I really wouldn't worry about weighing 125 - I wish I still did, LOL!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

When I was lifting I would stick with a specific workout for 6 weeks, then change it. I had 4 routines, and I rotated them so that no one muscle group would be overworked.

If you are doing serious ab work, you may want to carefully review the exercises you are doing, as many of them are designed to BUILD as opposed to tone, and this could be a reason for the increase in your waistline.

Also, when I was lifting, I threw out my scale, as I dropped 5 clothing sizes but gained 20 pounds of muscle, so the scale did nothing but depress me! The more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn, and after a certain point, weighing yourself makes no sense if you are continuing with your workouts.
I do 40 minutes of cardio, and I change the cardio machine every time. Then 20 minutes of strength training. I change those machines every time too.
I have never had a trainer because I can't really afford it over the regular cost of the gym membership. So unfortunately, I have no idea what the machines I'm using are doing to me.

The biggest problem I have is my hips and thighs (like most women). My stomache could use some work but its not awful. No matter how much I work out, I still have some dimpling in my thighs...IT IS SO GROSS! I would do anything to get rid of it. Some say all women have some dimpling, but I cannot stand it!!
My hips have extra fat on them which I hate because it gives me that muffin top look when I'm wearing tight jeans...Ew.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muscle does weigh more than fat. If you're doing strength training and lifting heavy weights, you're building more muscle. I use to go kickboxing and would be exhausted. My pants were lose, but I was maintaining the same weight.

You may want to try a completely different workout to slim down. As much as kickbxing was a stress reliever for me, I found pilates to be a little bit better.

Also running/jgging in general is a good way to slim down, especially the butt and thighs.

I don't know about your diet, but you may want to reduce your carbs a bit.

Otherwise: Liposuction.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
125 lbs? And you are COMPLAINING???!!
I WISH I weighted only 125 lbs! I am a little stocky hehe. What really majorly sucks is that while in college for 5 years, I had free access to the rec center to work out and swim and play raquetball when ever I wanted too. I maybe went 10 times total.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

125 lbs? And you are COMPLAINING???!!
I WISH I weighted only 125 lbs! I am a little stocky hehe. What really majorly sucks is that while in college for 5 years, I had free access to the rec center to work out and swim and play raquetball when ever I wanted too. I maybe went 10 times total.
I realize 125lbs doesn't seem like alot, but keep in mind I used to weigh 118 only last year. It just seems like a big weight gain for only one year.

(In high school, I weighed like 100lbs, those were the days
)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I realize 125lbs doesn't seem like alot, but keep in mind I used to weigh 118 only last year. It just seems like a big weight gain for only one year.

(In high school, I weighed like 100lbs, those were the days
)
I quit smoking two years ago and have gained 40 lbs as a result. So please, please don't beat yourself up about a 7 pound gain! Otherwise you're going to really, really depress those of us over 35 whose metabolisms have slowed way down! (In high school I only weighed 110 as well, so believe me, I can relate!!!)

Fat happens to the best of us girls - and while we don't like it much, it seems that the men really do - curvy is comfy!!!

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly how you feel. Last year I joined a gym (Curves) and went religiously for a few months. I didn't lose much weight. BUT, they did measure you once a month (if you wanted) and my measurements consistently went down every month. It was very hard for me not to focus on the pounds, but on the measurements. They also stressed how muscle weighs more than fat.

I don't know how old you are, I am 42 and I would say since 35 and especially the last year I have noticed my metabolism coming to a screeching halt!
I have never had an issue with weight and mostly all of my life been able to eat pretty much whatever I wanted. Now I am struggling a bit. I have 10-15 lbs I'd like to lose, I know that doesn't sound like much to some people, but on a small frame, that can make a difference.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jeanor

I don't know how old you are, I am 42 and I would say since 35 and especially the last year I have noticed my metabolism coming to a screeching halt!
I have never had an issue with weight and mostly all of my life been able to eat pretty much whatever I wanted. Now I am struggling a bit. I have 10-15 lbs I'd like to lose, I know that doesn't sound like much to some people, but on a small frame, that can make a difference.
I hear you, sister! I'm only 5'2"!!! I was a size 4/6 for over 15 years, and now I'm a 12!!!
My 40th is next February.

I'm working on accepting myself for who I am and how I am, because I just won't ever be that slim, trim 20-something ever again. Gosh darn it all!!!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I'm a group exercise instructor at a gym and solely teach muscle endurance classes, despite this, I have taken many workshops on all kinds of varying exercise and am dating one of the yoga instructors. The reason I'm telling you this is because I'm interested in hearing exactly what machines you use, and what exactly you're trying to accomplish. I may have some ideas for you if you give me some specifics.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't diet at all. I firmly beleive that if you try and eat healthy all the time as more of a way of life instead of random dietting, then that is better for you.
That is what is better for you. No doubt. If everyone just ate healthy, and we knocked burgers/fries/greasy/fatty/ foods out of everyones diet, or even off of the world, we'd all be less bigger.

And if you eat healthy, it'll make you have more energy, to do more things like go for walks, or the gym, or maybe get crazy and go for a run.

Just emphasizing that fact you made.
Because I believe the same thing. All them darn fad diets, or any diet in general, you dont need it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

Hi there! I'm a group exercise instructor at a gym and solely teach muscle endurance classes, despite this, I have taken many workshops on all kinds of varying exercise and am dating one of the yoga instructors. The reason I'm telling you this is because I'm interested in hearing exactly what machines you use, and what exactly you're trying to accomplish. I may have some ideas for you if you give me some specifics.
I don't know the name of the strength machines
I basically just use every machine in the gym except the weird ones that the men always use. And, for cardio, I either do the bike, stair gauntlet, treadmill on an incline or Elliptical.

I know I have no system of what I'm doing because I don't really know what to do. I am just trying to lose a few pant sizes really.