Why do I keep dreaming about my old jobs?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
3 years ago I was laid off from my shipping job of 21 years because of Covid. I thought I'd go back as many people obviously did back then, but as a few months went by I took a part time transport driver job for a visually impaired business, it quickly led to full time, I enjoyed it and quit my other job, and it turns out I wouldn't have been called back anyway as they haven't been doing so well since Covid hit, and quite frankly I wish I would've taken this job 20 years ago! But I keep dreaming that I am back at the shipping job, in the dream I know that I don't work there anymore, but I am back either doing my old job or helping out. I at times also dream about when I worked at Phar Mor which was a combination discount store/drug store in the early 1990's, but mainly I dream about the job that I left 3 years ago, and I don't know why. I wonder if it is my mind trying to make sense of what happened? Or is it stress from other things in my life coming out like that? I enjoy my job, and wouldn't go back to the old job for any amount of money, but I have no idea why I would dream of the old job?? :rolleyes:

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Funny you should mention dreaming of old jobs as I too have been dreaming sometimes about a job I had at Ford for 30 years and I've been retired for 16 years now. I actually dream that I am performing certain work tasks that I both enjoyed and hated and the people I've worked with over the years. Some of the dreams are very vivid and others just shorter snippets of events.

I don't miss the work and thoroughly enjoy my retirement.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a member of a dream group, part of the women's group at my church. I learned a few things about dreams.
  1. Dreams are always important, especially the ones we can remember. They're a way that your subconscious mind has of communicating with your conscious mind.
  2. Forget about dream dictionaries. They include a few useful generalities, but your mind's symbolism is unique to you.
  3. The subconscious tends to have a regrettable tendency to pun. :eek:
One of the (potentially) useful generalities you would find in a dream dictionary is that our work and our sense of self tend to be closely related. My guess is that you're involved in redefining who you are. But I emphasize that I'm just guessing. Only you can interpret your dreams. These dreams could easily be the way that you're integrating new knowledge and experiences into your skill set. Or they could be grief that the company you used to work for is having problems. Or you may be dealing with a feeling of (undeserved) guilt that you've come out of the pandemic with a better job while others are suffering. (Feelings aren't logical, which is why we call them "feelings" instead of "good ideas." But they're still important and need to be dealt with.) Or it could be a hodge podge of all these things, or something else entirely. But unless you wake up from these dreams with a deep sense of longing for the old job that isn't what your subconscious is trying to tell you.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
do you miss your old job at times?
Not really, not the one that I just lost. I would say that I missed the Phar Mor job from many years ago a bit, but I wouldn't go back there either if it woud be available (which it isn't).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Occasionally I dream about my old job (been retired since 2021) but not too much. I think it's just normal it was so much a part of our lives. It's like when I was younger and used to dream about school sometimes. And I never do now.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny you should mention dreaming of old jobs as I too have been dreaming sometimes about a job I had at Ford for 30 years and I've been retired for 16 years now. I actually dream that I am performing certain work tasks that I both enjoyed and hated and the people I've worked with over the years. Some of the dreams are very vivid and others just shorter snippets of events.

I don't miss the work and thoroughly enjoy my retirement.
DeesCats, this is off topic but much of my family owns Ford Products (I am the odd ball who doesn't) and since you worked for Ford for many years, I wondered what you thought of their product?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purrfect Meow Purrfect Meow , I've only bought Ford products since I started working there, mostly the small pickup trucks that used to be available and I've always been satisfied. Unfortunately they stopped making them. I haven't looked at other brand vehicles in years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My dreams about the paper plant are more like nightmares; I hated that place so much. I haven't dreamt at all about working for the county and I was there for 20 years. But that paper plant. Ugly.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked at my last job for 30 years and I retired 13 years ago. The last 7 years working there were pure hell. I absolutely hated working there and I dream about that place every night since I retired.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I do that it’s stressful dreams so I’ve always thought it was stress manifesting in my sleep while my brain tries to process it. I’m more likely to dream about going back to school; even if the schools aren’t what my high school or college looked like. But they are also stressful dreams like I have to stay there and be away from my husband and kids.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My dreams about work after I retired have just been hilarious. The theme of most of them was I was back at work but just part time, and didn’t have to show up except when I felt like it. The only stressful part of the dreams was that they kept moving my desk around and I would have to hunt for a desk and computer to use.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard it said if you want to dream about something nice, think about it for a few minutes just before you go to sleep. I have tried it and have had mixed success. But when it works it is better than dreaming about those things you would rather not remember. I always find when I dream about nice things I feel better in the morning. Just like a movie with a fantastic ending, or music that touches you or some food you will never forget. I forgot one thing, or that special kitty doing the thing that makes you smile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I at times will "combine" jobs, I'll dream that I am at my old job that I lost from Covid and it will hit me that I should be picking up clients to take to doctor appointments and of course I can't find my paperwork that has the directions to their house, or I can't get my boss on the phone to tell him, but I haven't dreamt about that for awhile now.

I in years past used to dream that I was back in high school and I didn't attend any biology classes and then realized that I probably had to take the year end final exam or I wouldn't graduate high school! But in my dream I thought "we don't have an exam for that class", but of course I knew that was a lie lol!!

Very strange what we dream, like someone else said I think it is our minds trying to process stress and make sense of what is going on in outr lives.