Why do cats roll over? Is it to be subordinate to you, or have their stomach rubbed?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah - I know about the submission on the back... Ghost does it. Pulling tight into a ball... Casper does THAT. And these two have become friends. Cas is terrified of the other cats in the house, but he is FINE with Ghostie b/c G is probably the most unthreatening kitty I have ever met.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my kitties roll onto their backs for two very different reasons

Madison still has the need to wrestle, so he'll roll on his back, I'll put on the kitty glove and pull down my sleeve, and roll him around while he chews on me and kicks me. It's never agressive, he rarely leaves a scratch, he just likes to play and he rolls over to let me know its play time.

Maybelle will roll on to her back when she's really really happy and being pet. she just flops right over like ahhh, now pet my belly!

She is terrified of other cats, and extremely submissive, (she spent a good 6 months of her life being attacked by 4-5 other cats routinely before I saved her ) and I have never seen her roll for Madison, she'll growl, hiss, run and corner herself or hide, but never ever rolls. It's sad really, it'll be a long time before she can leave the room she lives in, if at all.

but I don't see a cat on his back as a submission like you'd see in a dog. I do however feel honored when I'm allowed to pet my kitties bellies

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This seems so strange. Until I got the Siamese pair none of my cats ever liked their tummy rubbed. The Siamese surprised me by rolling over and I wondered about that until I read that Siamese are very 'dog-like' cats sometimes 'even rolling over' to have their tummy rubbed.

So, now it seems that it is not just a character trait of specific breeds, but a behaviour exhibited by some cats and not others. I know ALL of my cats have trusted me, maybe they just never felt the need to demonstrate it.

Perhaps, cats are evolving!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChristinaCat

This seems so strange. Until I got the Siamese pair none of my cats ever liked their tummy rubbed. The Siamese surprised me by rolling over and I wondered about that until I read that Siamese are very 'dog-like' cats sometimes 'even rolling over' to have their tummy rubbed.

So, now it seems that it is not just a character trait of specific breeds, but a behaviour exhibited by some cats and not others. I know ALL of my cats have trusted me, maybe they just never felt the need to demonstrate it.

It's not "dog like" at all, it is very common behavior for many cats and has always been.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe. Mazy has the most Yummy Tummy, and is very generous with showing it, but I don't dare touch it. I need my hands and arms.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChristinaCat

There are various reasons a cat will rull over and show its tummy... none have to do with "evoloving." It is how kittens greet their mums, and ANY cat will do so to get into defensive ready-to-attack position.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting thread!

I agree that they show their tummies for different reasons, depending on the cat and who they're interacting with.

Nova runs to the door to greet us when we come home, and rolls around. She does not like tummy rubs.

Zoom shows us his tummy either because he wants rubbing, or because he wants to play. We say to him, "Tummy Rubbles" or "Eggy Wegg" and sometimes he'll roll over when we say these things. Eggy wegg is a plastic easter egg that he likes to rabbit kick. If he wants it, he'll roll over and we'll place it near him. When he kicks it away, we bring it back to him. He sometimes rolls over on his own, without us saying anything and we have to figure out which one it is that he wants.

Goopy and Loki like to sleep on their backs sometimes, usually propped against somthing. (Maybe it's comfortable for plump cats?) Goopy does like tummy rubs, but Loki does not. I imagine they feel comfortable and relaxed enough to expose their vulnerable parts to us maybe?

When Loki shows another cat his tummy, it is usually because he wants to be left alone. He gifts rabbit kicks to the head to anyone who doesn't get the message.
I haven't noticed our other cats showing their tummies to each other.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs do this. I found out that with cats - its the opposite kinda. When fighting the cat on the bottom is really the dominate one as they have all 4 feet and teeth ready to rip the belly of the cat on top!

Then again, some just like to have their belly rubbed. Ever notice that if you do it too long they will "attack" your hand or foot?

michelle zieba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe my cat does this to greet me, but at the same time, she loves belly rubs, so the two really go hand-in-hand. 

janitor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I was just wondering about this as my cat has started "playing" like this. For me it seems like it comes out of nowhere. Like just now we were cuddling on the bed then "Jewels" flips over and starts batting at my hands and trying to bite them. I don't let her do this so just distracted her with a blanket. I thought that she was angry but no hissing or anything. Soon after she just curled up in my arms and went to sleep. This is so strange to me. I don't really like it when she rolls on her back like that but it seems normal for cats after reading this thread 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just curious. Why don't you like it when Jewels rolls on her back? She is giving you one of the highest signs of trust. I love it when one of my ladies roll and want belly rubs. Spice rolls almost every time I talk to her.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both our cats do this, sometimes it means 'belly rub'
  other times I get' bunny kicked'
  Ziggy tumbles right over head first

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I always take it as a sign of trust, whether I'm at home with my own cat/s or somewhere else and a cat does this.

With Mouse the giveaway is in his face most of the time, but you soon know when you approach him anyway..  

He seems to have learned that he looks super cute to humans when he does the lie back and either stretches out as far as he can or with his paws all crooked up and his face off to one side.  He'll look at me like come and get me and as soon as you move you know if it's play, pamper, or follow me and do what you're told.

If he wants your attention for play: as soon as you start o move toward him he'll either jump up and start to play with which ever toy he wants you to interact with him on - like his Catit circuit or DaBird, or he'll look you right in the eye and go for the bunny kicks and wrapping legs round the arm.

If he wants pampered he'll just lay there and stretch his head back so his throat is exposed, crook his front paws up to rest on your hair or hands and lap up any hand rubs, nose nuzzles and kisses as he can get out of you.  This is his most regular requirement. He is a cuddlebug and for whatever reason he prefers his belly being rubbed and stroked than his back (which he is also happy to have snuggled in to).  I think it might remind him of his wrestling play fight followed by grooming sessions he had with his mom.  She used to pin him down on his back and give him long baths at the end of play time:-)

If he want you to follow him and do something he will jump up the minute you move towards him and head off in the direction he wants you to follow.  It could be food, playing a game of hide and seek, or time for bed miaowmy. 

janitor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just curious. Why don't you like it when Jewels rolls on her back? She is giving you one of the highest signs of trust. I love it when one of my ladies roll and want belly rubs. Spice rolls almost every time I talk to her.
It is because she doesn't want belly rubs she wants to chew on my hand.  I wish I could rub her belly but sadly all I get is teeth and claws

janitor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so. Any tips on that. I know she is not doing it to be mean or anything but she seems to be really intent on a good chomp. Most of the time I say "no" and leave her where she is. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I hope so. Any tips on that. I know she is not doing it to be mean or anything but she seems to be really intent on a good chomp. Most of the time I say "no" and leave her where she is. 
I got Mouse to know he can go for the major chomp when I've got thick sleaves on and he can 'let rip',  but if it's an arm he has to be gentle.

He knows I mean business with:  a sharp 'ouch' and a sudden but very slight push in towards him, then freeze.  He knows he has to let go at that point and the play has to stop if he bites again.

I keep 'ouch' for when he hurts me and 'no' for other things I don't want him to do.  He knows he can't ignore the 'ouch' word!

Otherwise you end up only being able to touch the belly with a wand toy or something and that would be real sad.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Otherwise you end up only being able to touch the belly with a wand toy or something and that would be real sad.
Why is it sad? o_O We have signs everywhere in the shelter where I volunteer "Please don't tickle the kitties' bellies!". In junior camp (we hold humane education camp for kids under 12 every summer and winter), one of the earliest things we teach is that kitties don't want belly rubs like dogs do.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Why is it sad? o_O We have signs everywhere in the shelter where I volunteer "Please don't tickle the kitties' bellies!". In junior camp (we hold humane education camp for kids under 12 every summer and winter), one of the earliest things we teach is that kitties don't want belly rubs like dogs do.
It's only sad if you have a kitty that does like having its belly rubbed sometimes but people around them are not able to understand when they want it rubbed or want to play.

I do appreciate that there are many cats who do not like their bellies rubbed, and if you do not know a cat well and it does not trust you then it is a very bad idea to approach and touch their belly as it will inevitably be scared and defend itself.  You are quite right to teach the children that come to your camps as you do, both for child and cat welfare!