Why do cats like to sit in the window?

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, one is still a kitten and the other is 2 years old. They both love to sit in the window. Why do cats like to do that?
My window faces my apt buildint parking lot. There use to be birds that would be on my balcony and Hendrix use to stalk them(through the glass).

I wonder why they like the window so much? My cats will knock stuff down to sit in that darn window. I dont get it...

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tab tends to sit in the window a lot too.

I don't have a clue why they do it, maybe they just want to watch the outside world without having to bother to go outside, or maybe they just want to watch the birds or cars or whatever is outside?

I have no idea!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought they enjoyed the view as well. Something different, right from the perch of thier very own home.
Also, I think the brightness of the outside keeps them warm, especially when the sun is out, and you know how cats like the warm spots.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm cause they can?

hehe just kidding, warmspot, view, bird TV? or waiting for us to come home,
all sound like good reason to me or to a kitty.

i remember mine, trying to catch falling snow last winter.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, Villy loves to sit in the window too, I think it's just because they usually have quite a high vantage point and can see what's going on outside.
Villy sometimes chatters her teeth when she sees a particularly tasty looking bird

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's cooler or warmer near the window. Limerick loves to sleep in the sun, and watch the bugs.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It's weird to see Zissou not spend most of her time in the window. She loves the back one because her little bed is perched on the windowsill right above mine, and she loves sleeping there. Plus, it's a high-up window. I'd say the bottom of the back window is almost five feet up. There are trees right outside both windows and the birdies are always entertaining.

I mean, they don't watch tv, right? I like to sit and look out the window sometimes too.

It's the best of both worlds. She can enjoy the a/c or the heat, and have the protection of mommie (she's scared to be outside without me), but she can see everything. She also tries to catch snow/rain/bugs through the glass.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
simple: because they are nosy!

Trust me, LuckyGirl is the nosiest thing I have ever seen. If you come in with a bag, she doesn't care if your a visitor or not, she will be in the bag inspecting your purchase in minutes! She runs when she hears keys, or the door knob, cause she needs to know who is here, and she has to watch everyone walk by, and all the bunnies & birds. She knows my car from 30 feet, and hops down from on top of the entertainment center to get ready for my entrance.... honestly, I have never seen anyone nosier than her.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winter Hawk

You mean like THIS .................

Well........to see whats going on outside........of course

Winter Hawk
That's a great pic! It's like they're all gossiping about the neighbors....

"do you see him?"
"ugh, I can't believe they are going out groomed like that!"
"I know, how gross?!"

"uh-oh guys, they're looking right at us!"

jason no excuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked at it as cats have heighten sense than we do and they do not see the colors we do,

so imagine how you would see, hear, feel, when you are looking out the window at all of nature. 

I think they have a different perspective about nature than we humans. Remember, humans are slow, clumsy and unaware 

to the nature world around us.

Cats see a whole different world. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They like to look out the window for the same reason we do.

Who wants to stare at 4 walls all of the time? There is stuff happening outside, interesting stuff. It's entertainment for them, not to mention the warmth of the sun.