Why do cats lick us?

xxcalico57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

My Smidge has been with my three months now - and she has become quite the licker. If I get my face near her she licks and licks it, as well as my hands and arms often when I'm petting her. Course it seems to happen mostly when she is feeling content.

My fave time when she does it is when I'm napping and she's asleep on my shoulder, licking my ear to wake me up.

Why do they do it? Is it just "grooming" to them?

You lil kitty might be licking you cause the salts you have on *in(?)*your ears or lips *maybe even face(?)* but i am not all that sure ,maybe she juss feels like it is grooming ,or maybe happy to see you

xxcalico57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I know Cupid does it for attention sometimes, and other times to groom, and sometimes it's just one quick, light lick and I think that's a kiss.
But when he decides he wants attention FAST he comes up and licks my chin a couple times. Gets me every time!
Sounds adorble
I was gone for a week at one point gone out of town and when i got baq my cat licked my face and i really think it was a kiss 2 and i know she was happy to see me(so of course i spent time with my baby .lol.kitty)

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester is such a licker! With my guinea pig, I know her licks are because my face tastes like salt, but I don't think it's true with my kitty (could be because I don't want it to be true).
My muchly missed Natasha never really did lick, unless my hand got in the way of a cleaning session. Same thing with the other cats we've had. They're just not interested.
Chester on the other hand, is a licking machine. In Fact, his licking was what made me choose him from the shelter, he licked the end of my ex boyfriends nose when he was going in for an "allergy check sniff". Chester mostly licks my nose and sometimes my third eye, and has been known to try to lick my hair first thing in the morning(which mostly results in a spitting action and me making him stop). He's also started to lick the backs of our legs if we don't pay attention to him in the kitchen. Sometimes he'll lick our feet for the fun of it (for the "kicks"???
), me thinks. Regardless, it's fun having such a kissy little man! He's always there with a nose kiss when I'm feeling at my worst

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shane and SunLee lick my hands when I pet them. Simba is not much of a licker. My beloved Snoopy used to actually lick and groom my hair, I had to stop him because I don't think it was good for him. When my hair was shorter, I used to wear hair spray, and I think he liked the taste of that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie does cause she feels your dirty... Zoey gives kisses

mrandmrsbrummet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clovis/Fresno CA; orginally from Sacramento
I always took licking as the greatest show of affection your cat can show you. I read somewhere in a cat book that by licking, cats are getting their "scent" on you so that other cats know that you are theirs. In other words, it is a type of "claiming" they do. Regardless, I know they are saying that they love you.