Why do cats give "gifts" to their human owners?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats- one can't be bothered with hunting, and the other is a stone cold killer, a hunting machine! They are both indoor/outdoor, and it seems Michaleto loves nothing more than the "hunt and gift".

He is very creative during the summer, as I have received: birds, decent sized lizards, baby possums, moths, (one time it was a sphinx moth, they are HUGE), and even a squirrel. He makes a sad cry sound upon entering the apartment with a gift, to get my attention. He then shows me the gift, and basically asks me to play with it with him. He rolls around with it, bats it, throws it in the air, etc. Pretty gross. During a rainstorm, he brought in a small bird and woke me with his cries. When I bent over him to see why he was crying, he rolled over, threw it up in the air, and this dead, rain-soaked bird bounced off my head and down my hair. I screamed! Poor Michaleto, he was more shocked than I was.

He is on a tear this week, as he brought me a bird and presented both its head and body yesterday, and then today, placed another dead bird in my slipper.

I am flattered of course, but is there any way to minimize the gifting? A friend mentioned putting a bell on his collar, which I think would be awful...how would you like a bell ringing in your ear all day? Any alternatives, or do I have to just keep saying thanks? 

I can't imagine the germ factor in my carpets. I clean them constantly, but there is only so much you can do :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
 Mine all have little bells on their collars but they don't help much--one of my monsters brought in a dead bird just yesterday.  
    I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions.  

I will say that my cats have slowed down a bit with the hunting.  They're still young--only five years old now, but it seems every year, they stay in the house more and hunt outside less.  I guess they don't have as much energy to use up as they used to, thankfully. 

houdini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this counts as a "gift", but after reading this thread I believe it might be. My cat Houdini leaves his wand toy, (has a stuffed toy with feathers on the end) on my bed everyday. He will not and has not brought it on the bed when I am home, but when I go out I always expect that toy to be sitting on top of my bed.

Odd thing is, if I try playing with him with that specific toy, he runs away when it touches him!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. My cat leaves fake mice by the food bowl. I'm feeling a little left out!! [emoji]128540[/emoji]

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@betsygee

Thanks for responding 

And an update:

Wow, Michaleto is on a record week: he brought one bird two days ago, two yesterday and just woke me up this morning with another. Let's see if we can make it through the rest of the day. 

I think he has perfected his hunting, as they are all dead by the time he brings them in. Lucky, lucky me.

And he is still quite young, only two years old, so it sounds like I have another 3 years or so of this crazy hunting and gifting, huh?

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hate to tell you, but my first cat hunted until she was 16!  
    But not often.

Does he have a lot of indoor toys to play with?  Our cats love wand toys like Da Bird, it gives them a 'hunting' experience without going outside.  

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@betsygee

Just got back from getting a coffee, and he brought another bird in, an hour and a half after the first today. 

He does not care at all for toys. I try to play with him and he just looks at me.  Ha!

Also, his brother Cezare is the dominant in the house, so he always steals the spotlight and will play with any toy I grab. I think the gifting might be a way of Michaleto telling us how special he is, "look! Cezare doesn't give you gifts, just me!" That kind of thing.

I don't know, but man, if gifting is showing love, than this boy loves us like CRAZY

muriel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat owners, or any animal owner. All animals are special.

My problem is, How to block my cat from bringing in, dead rats, mice, through top of my open window ? Now that the weather is getting nice, I want to be able to leave top of windows open I am scared that one day she will bring in one alive. !!!!! 

Thanks,

Muriel.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat brings mousies to the buffet table . "Now it's your turn" snd oh boy does he know I have the good stuff. Lol

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find my once feral cats bring me more gifts then the others. Everyday I get at least one. But they like to leave them at my door outside. I can't even make my husband clean it up because they get upset if anyone else tries to pick them up. Birds, rats,mouse, and anything they can get. I always say thanks and try not to vomit. 

fieldsweeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just think of this next time they come up and start licking you, lucky mine are not only indoor, but never noticed mice before, so whew haha

isyreri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My lovely Mister Piggy has given me an awful lot of presents lately. Two months ago he put a mouse in my boot while I was taking a shower and if you are wondering if i put my boots on, well.... yes I did. It was still kicking... grosss. Then he took home two still living snakes (they are not very dangerous fortunately) to share with us. He left one of them in the kitchen and the other was a present for the Cows my new cats from a feral mother. He is so sweet I just hope he could stop bringing weird criters.

paleale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat often bring me his toys we play fetch like he was a dog.
Great for me I don't have to move to play.
I think it's pretty funny when I wake up & have 5 toy's all over my bed.
Lately though he does the craziest thing he through them back at me no joke a bird toy flying over my head.he run's up & launches them at me.from paw or mouth I don't know only happens when I'm not paying attention to him & wham hit by a toy.know what dog can do that?

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, my cat Snickers who was an inside/outside cat before we knew any better, would each day bring a dead bird in the house and if we didn't watch him closely when he came in to see if he had anything he would deposit them behind the coach.

bizzysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were talking in a separate thread and the question came up:

What makes a cat present their owner with a gift?

Last time she escaped for a brief jaunt outside, Nano brought me back a mouse carcass and presented me with this "gift". Beckiboo said that Spot gave her husband a mouse nearly every day.

But it is not just mice -- Nano plays with Q-tips and several times I have gotten into bed and found a Q-tip right on top of my pillow. One time I was gone for a while and came back to find a dozen Q-tips waiting for me. Assuming she isn't commenting on my grooming

why would Nano leave these gifts for me?

I guess the quick explanation is "a sign of affection" but what ideas do you have to explain these gifts? And what are some gifts that your cat(s) have given you?

bizzysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I'm doing this right because its my first time but I just had to laugh and put in my own reply I thought my cat was going nuts. She started a couple of weeks ago bringing me literally a mouthful of q-tips one morning I woke up and it was a mouthful of cotton swabs today it was an almost gone bar of soap and just a few minutes ago a three piece of foam rubber. It was suggested I look at your site and I'm glad I did my cat was very abused as a kitten and I am her fourth home she is barely a year old it has taken a lot of patience and love but she does sleep in bed with me she even has her own pillow I keep thinking she's bored because she's bringing me all these things and doesn't want to play with her toys if I'm making a mistake please tell me I love her very much and want her to be happy. I am grateful to all of you and your stories knowing that not just my cat who is fixated on bathroom items lol I should add that I am mostly bedridden and so life can be a little boring with me but I do try to play with her throwing toys and she usually says is like a dog that lately has been obsessed with bringing me things I hope that is good news. I am grateful to all of you for your posts and will continue to fall of you for all the good advice thank you

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a special bond between cat and person when cats bring home their prey. Sadly I lost two beloved cats who strayed beyond the five fenced acres to hunt game to bring home to me. Both Lilo and Tippi would proudly bring their catch to me, doing the wierd yowling for presentation and praise, before devouring it. I hate coyotes. Of seven cats, it is always my beloved favorites that are taken.

bizzysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Australian Shepherd and two cats all within a year of each other I was devastated I understand your pain my animals are my children my family. I have a new cat now her name is busy I wish you well and I know you will love more cats because we both know they are out there just waiting for you.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My best friend had a cat named Mugsy who was quite a character. He would leave offerings on her bed, but he fixed them up so nicely for her. Each tiny organ would be licked perfectly clean and look like it had been taken out with a scapel. He did very precision work. He never left any fur or skin, just neatly dissected and cleaned tiny little mouse innards, all lined up on the comforter.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten once brought me a wiggling live 6 inch centipede and dropped it on my chest while I was snoozing on the sofa. The scream is still traveling across the universe. Usually I am gifted with rubber balls and my own hair ties.