Why do cats do what they do in the litterbox?

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm intrigued by the bathroom ritual of cats. They are pooping and peeing in a tub filled with a weird gravel that clumps their pee together, yet it doesn't seem to bother them. 

Why do cats like to dig through the litter and hide their poops? Why do they do what they do in the litter box?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's their nature; instinct.  In the wild they dig into the ground a bit to go and cover it.  I've observed my indoor-outdoor cats doing this growing up as well.  Litter boxes are just our substitute we give them.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's their nature; instinct.  In the wild they dig into the ground a bit to go and cover it.  I've observed my indoor-outdoor cats doing this growing up as well.  Litter boxes are just our substitute we give them.
Agree totally.  When we take our older boy out on his harness, he seems like he can't wait to do both his business in dirt.  He will pee in several places in fact.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
agree with @MoochNNoodles  and @Bluebird Gal  

Also i want to add, cats are very clean creatures, as i'm sure you've noticed with your kitty. They will not poop and pee all over the place, because they don't want to live in filth. That's why when you see a kitty is elimination outside the litter box (indoors), its a great cause for concern.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats dig into dirt and/or litter as an inherited practice from their ancestors. In the wild, feces and urine are covered so as not to attract other predators. This goes for food as well, which is why sometimes you will see domestic cats pawing the floor around their food dish. They have borrowed this trait as well from wild cats who bury their food to protect it from scavengers and other would-be food thieves :)

For cats that don't cover their dirt or urine it could be that they were most likely separated from the mother, or not socialized for some reason in being shown how to do this.

Last edited:

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats dig into dirt and/or litter as an inherited practice from their ancestors. In the wild, feces and urine are covered so as not to attract other predators. This goes for food as well, which is why sometimes you will see domestic cats pawing the floor around their food dish. They have borrowed this trait as well from wild cats who bury their food to protect it from scavengers and other would-be food thieves

For cats that don't cover their dirt or urine it could be that they were most likely separated from the mother, or not socialized for some reason in being shown how to do this.
Our older boy has always tried to cover his food dish after eating.  Even close to a year later since we rescued him.  It's both funny & annoying at times when he tries to use anything in reach to cover it.  LOL   

Even funnier that it has been monkey-see-monkey-do that our new little man watches him do it and has now started trying to cover his up, although with not near the enthusiasm as our older boy.

maniacmaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed my Mikey digs in three different spots before she poops. Every time. I'm pretty sure she only digs once when she pees. So weird. My other cat likes her privacy when she goes, I think I've only seen her in the litter box once, lol.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Our older boy has always tried to cover his food dish after eating.  Even close to a year later since we rescued him.  It's both funny & annoying at times when he tries to use anything in reach to cover it.  LOL   

Even funnier that it has been monkey-see-monkey-do that our new little man watches him do it and has now started trying to cover his up, although with not near the enthusiasm as our older boy.
LOL. That's hilarious!

Little Maggie will paw the floor around her food dish on occasion, probably on account of the boys are always trying to move in on her food!

Last edited: