Why did my new and recently neutered male cat just pee on my blankets?

rchynkim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past 2 hours I noticed a particular stench in my bedroom. Scooped the litterbox and the smell got better but didn't completely go away. Then I found it was coming from my sheets, and that Ruben had peed on it! 

I recently took him in from the streets just a week ago. He's eating well, drinking well. And up until now he had been using the litterbox perfectly with no problems. He was neutered 3 days ago. He is 10 months old approx. 

I don't understand? Is there another possible reason aside from a possible UTI infection? And is there any symptoms I could look for regarding UTI before I take him into the vet's? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rchynkim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, as a side note, yesterday I did find a tiny trace of blood from a white box in my room which he likes to rest on. I attributed that as an effect from neutering. Could it be something else? Haven't found anymore trace of blood since.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please give your vet a call.  He could be having some pain from the neuter or developed a UTI. 

rchynkim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also wondering whether it happened because I sprayed a litter box no odor for the first time... Perhaps it had not settled in when Ruben needed to pee? Because it seemed to happen shortly after that. I think I will wait to see if it happens once more, and if it does I'll take the problem to the vet

rchynkim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ruben just peed properly in his litter box. Thank god. I think the problem really may have been the use of the odor spray!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ruben just peed properly in his litter box. Thank god. I think the problem really may have been the use of the odor spray!
Yea!!  Stay away from anything scented near the litter box.  Cats hate air fresheners and the like.  Are you having a problem with stinky litter?  What kind are you using?  I have found that Dr. Elsey's Precious cat litter is great for odor control.  You need to clean the litter box every day too.  Also be sure you are getting up all of the clumps.  His urine will smell strongly for a while since it was just neutered and the strong stench needs to disapate.  It will get better.

rchynkim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue Ah god!! Why do people make stuff like this for the litter box if it's counterproductive u_u even if it works after like ten minutes of spraying it, what's the point if your cat ends up peeing outside the litter box ..

I used Worlds Best Multi litter and I love it (especially cause it's flushable). My other cats are fine but it is Ruben who has a very stinky pee and poo... I scoop my litter boxes twice a day. And ahh thank you for your reassurance. Honestly I just need Rubens pee and poo to stop smelling so terribly. It's a very weird stench... Kind of like an intense body odor smell... Very sharp.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue Ah god!! Why do people make stuff like this for the litter box if it's counterproductive u_u even if it works after like ten minutes of spraying it, what's the point if your cat ends up peeing outside the litter box ..

I used Worlds Best Multi litter and I love it (especially cause it's flushable). My other cats are fine but it is Ruben who has a very stinky pee and poo... I scoop my litter boxes twice a day. And ahh thank you for your reassurance. Honestly I just need Rubens pee and poo to stop smelling so terribly. It's a very weird stench... Kind of like an intense body odor smell... Very sharp.
Yep,  That is un neutered cat pee.  It should get better over the next 3-6 weeks.  I used World's Best for awhile and loved it too.  One of my cats was fine with it, but the other hated it.  So I had to switch back to Dr. Elsey's. 

Hopefully it gets better soon.