Why Cats Stare At Water Bowl But Not Drink - Hypothesis

auridicyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! First I want to say I already know this is a bad sign, dehydration is deadly, etc. And I know why *my* cat was doing it, and I'm actively working to correct it.

HOWEVER...

The reason I'm posting is in the hopes of helping other kitties and owners with the MECHANICS of the issue. Obviously only your vet can help divine the underlying cause.

I noticed today that my baby REALLY wanted to drink. He's been weak and I've been syringe feeding him so I took this as a good sign! But he would paw at the water bowl, and then sort of hunker down, stiff-legged, and lap a couple times before giving up.

Then I had a brainwave - what if he's just too weak to crouch like normal? So I found a 6 or 7 inch deep container, and filled it to within a half inch of the top, and presto! He sat there and drank and drank, because he didn't have to use his muscles to support himself while he did so. I have since raised his food bowls also, though it may be a few more days before he starts eating from those - fingers crossed!

I have long seen raised pet feeding devices marketed to owners of large breed dogs, but they just might come in handy for sick cats!

I hope this helps someone else's furry friend.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This is a very good tip. Some cat owners like to elevate their cats’ food bowls as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, to help entice him back to regular food/eating habits - you could try some toppers, tuna, boiled unseasoned chicken bits, bonito flakes, baby food with no garlic or onion, canned kitten food, or kibble moistened with unseasoned broth (if you do this don't leave the kibble out for very long due to increased speed of bacterial growth) or his favorite treat crumbled on top or mixed in.
There are also lickable treats which might help, and pouch foods have more gravy which may also help.
Hang in there!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, im glad you figured it out! Great that you took the time to make it easy for him! I have a water fountain that has two tiers, cats always seem to like drinking out of the top bowl!

Hopefully he will eat well, soon!