Why cats love dry food?

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have my cats on 2x1/4 cup per day dry for 4 cats. Then wet as their main food; they take forever to finish their wet food [sometimes they don't even finish it] but they finish the dry in record time. Although the dry food is high quality [Dr. Elsey's Cleanprotein and Epigen 90]; I'm still bothered.

Do they prefer the crunchy texture? They were raised on it? Does it taste more concentrated?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many dry foods are coated in animal digest or other yummy coating that cats can't resist. It's like candy to them. You can sort of mimic this by adding toppers to the wet food but only occasionally as some cats will expect toppers on every meal and may refuse to eat food without toppers. Crushed up freeze dried meat treats work well. FortiFlora is basically animal digest but only use a teeny amount very occasionally to prevent any addiction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got FortiFlora today; helped get them to really eat their wet food - usually they love the broth but nibble on the actual protein.

Can animal digest be bought in bulk? The ingredients on FortiFlora says liver digest.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A box of FortiFlora should last you a few months. You just need a teeny sprinkle from a packet. I wouldn't give FortiFlora on every single meal. Advita is another similar product. Pet food companies have suppliers for animal digest in large bulk quantities but I doubt a pet owner can buy from those same suppliers.

Nutritional yeast supposedly has a similar taste that cats like. You can find it at most health food stores or the health food aisle of supermarkets. Bragg and Bob's Red Mill are two brand names.

You can also just finely ground up some freeze dried liver treats (chicken, turkey, or whatever your cats like) and use that to sprinkle on top of food.