Why can't they get along?

fluf muf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Baxter Hates my other cat Marlene.He tries to attack her, but if I'm holding him and I get to close to her Baxter starts struggling and I think he's scared of of Marlene.Any advice on how to help them get along?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If Baxter is trying to attack her, I think you need to rewind things and look at re-introducing them!

How long have you had each cat? Did you just get one, or have they been together for a long time and just now started fighting? It's incredibly rare for two cats to get along right off the bat, and also cats that have been together for years can suddenly start disliking each other. Cat friends turned enemies is often the case of redirected aggression, and once a cat mistakenly takes their anger out on their buddy, they have a hard time remembering that they're actually friends. Fortunately both of these situations have tons of success stories, you just have to help your cats get used to each other again. Is it possible for you to separate them with a closed door?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluf muf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Marlene for around 8-9 years and got Baxter just about 4 years ago.When I first got him he lived in a room so he could be separate from my other cats. He escaped one day and ran into her, they've hated eachother ever since.I can't separate them right now because I'm using the only room I could keep him in to house my pregnant cat stream.